Sunday, June 11, 2023

Fisherman for Sunday Stamps

Hello and welcome!  It's time for a new challenge at Sunday Stamps and this time we have some muted colors that I found to work well for my husband's birthday card.  I used red, gray and steel blue.


I'm also playing along with Seize the Birthday's Anything Goes Challenge.



My husband is a fly fisherman and I have found when crafting companies create stamp sets with fishing images, they are mostly for bait fishing.  So I was pleased when I found this stamp from Whimsy Stamps.


I started by stamping the image on white cardstock, then ink blended Simon Says Stamp Morning ink in the background for the sky.  I used Copic markers to color the water, his waders, jeans, vest, shirt and hat and was going to call it good but the background looked to vacant.  I used very light gray copic markers to faintly draw in the trees on the other side of the water.  I am not much of a sketch artist but these are easy trees - draw a line for the trunk and add random squiggly lines for the limbs and it gives the impression of tall fir trees without having to get too detailed.


The main panel was die cut with a deckled rectangle and added with foam tape to a gray panel that was die cut with a larger deckled rectangle, then embossed with a retired Stampin' Up embossing folder.  The sentiment was stamped and die cut with an extra layer to give it a bit of dimension. The final step was to add the fishing line coming off the end of his rod; the stamp didn't have that so I just drew one with a ruler and a black Copic Fineliner pen.


Be sure to pop over to the challenge blog to check out the wonderful cards by the other DT members and hopefully be inspired to join us!

Take care!

Stef


Stamps:  Whimsy Stamps Fisherman, Honey Bee Stamps Pickup Lines
Paper:  Neenah Solar White, Simon Says Stamp Slate
Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black, Altenew Obsidian, SSS Morning
Dies:  Pickup Lines coordinating sentiment die, Altenew Mix and Match Frames, Waffle Flower Deckled Frames
Embossing folder:  ret. SU Bark
Copics:  E35, 34, 30, 21, 11, 00, 000, T0, 2, C6, 4, 2, B99, 97, 93, 91, R59, 39, 37

7 comments:

dj said...

Glad you found the right kind of fisherman...your husband will love it!! Fantastic coloring of this image in our colors!! What great inspiration for those who decide to play along with our "Beach House Vibes" color challenge!! #SSC311

Heather said...

Dang, Stef, you look like a fabulous sketch artist to me, lol - this is stunning, and perfect for our fishing guys! Hubby will love it, I'm sure. You have such color control, it's glorious!

Lisa Elton said...

What a fabulous card for your husband, perfectly colored too!

Nancy said...

I hope your hubby enjoyed his card yesterday. Love the EF background and of course your coloring as always. I so enjoyed our chat yesterday, we will have to do it again soon. Thanks for playing along at Seize the Birthday!

Vicki Dutcher said...

What an excellent fisherman card! Really well done. Thanks for joining in at STB.

Heidi Baks said...

This is fantastic, Stef!

Annette Elliott said...

Your card is breath taking. period.