Saturday, August 28, 2021

Tall Tales

Hello and welcome.  Today I'm sharing a card that I made for the 500th Freshly Made Sketches challenge, where they are celebrating a decade of challenges!  Congratulations to Lesley and the DT team members past and present, for having one of the best and most successful challenge blogs!  Here's the sketch by the lovely Linda Callahan, who was one of the original team members.


I'm also joining the current Color Throwdown Challenge as the colors worked perfectly for my card.


I ended up rotating the sketch 90 degrees, putting the left panel at the top of the card, represented by the bookshelf.


I just adore this stamp set and I think it will be perfect with a gift of books. The sentiment really speaks to me because as a kid I was a voracious reader.  The libraries in Portland, Oregon were some of my favorite places to be growing up. 

I stamped the images on a panel of white cardstock, colored them with Copic markers then used the coordinating dies to cut them out.  The size of the images required making a 5" x 7" card, so I used my A7 rectangle dies to cut both a white and black panel.  


Next Dew Drop ink was lightly blended on the top of the panel, fading off to white.  Unfortunately is was so light that my camera had a hard time picking it up but IRL it looks nice.  Next the sentiment was stamped in black pigment ink and the panel adhered to the larger black panel, then added to the Fog card base.  I used my T-Square ruler to keep the bookshelf straight when I glued it onto the panel then popped up the stack of books and our little reader with foam squares.  The final touch was to use some Glossy accents on her glasses as well as the dots on the vase and a couple of the book bindings.


FMS has been one of my favorite challenges, although it seems the last couple of years I haven't played along as often as I would like.  I was looking back in my photo history and found that the first FMS challenge I joined was #14 in December of 2011.  I had to chuckle at my card because clearly at the time I didn't understand the concept of clean and fresh lol! Ah, yes, back in the days of distressing and sponging all the edges....


Thanks so much for visiting, I always appreciate it!  Take care and stay safe!

Stef  


Stamps:  Tall Tales (Altenew)
Paper:  Neenah Solar White, Black, Fog (Simon Says Stamp)
Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black, Versafine Clair Nocturne, Dew Drop (Altenew)
Other:  Tall Tales dies, Glossy Accents
Copics:  R59, 46, 24, 14, YG67, 17, 05, 03, BG05, 02, 01, 000, W5, 3, 1, C9, 7, 5, E79, 59, 51, 47, 44, 43, 35, 33, 31, 30, 21, 11

6 comments:

Jen Mitchell said...

What a fun card! I love how the colors make the books look so inviting. Thanks for joining our 500th sketch celebration at Freshly Made Sketches. I enjoyed your take on our 14th sketch from back in the day. It's fun to see how we have evolved as crafters over the years!

Linda Callahan said...

I love this! (Just ordered this set for myself!) Your coloring is wonderful! Beautifully done! Glad you joined us for our 500th sketch! Such fun to look back at our past work!

CHRISTINE BLAIN said...

This is beautiful, Stef ... the images, the sentiment, the little scene you've created, and of course your amazing colouring! As an avid reader (especially in our prolonged and repeated lockdowns in Melbourne), this really speaks to me. My, how your cardmaking style has changed, my friend. Love your little trip down memory lane, sharing the first card you shared for a FMS challenge.

Pia S said...

I just got this stamp set myself, my favorite at the moment. I too had a big interest in books from a young age and I blocked out every sound and got fully "absorbed" by the the story I was reading. I don't read as much as a grown up, mainly due to lack of time.
I love how you also used a sketch as inspiration to your design.

Wanda Cullen said...

Love these book images with all the vibrant Throwdown colors! So glad you were able to join us this week!

Narelle Farrugia said...

Oh wow! That colouring is just amazing - you've created such a fab card. Thanks for joining us at FMS this week!