Saturday, August 14, 2021

Hibiscus Blooms

Hello and welcome!  Today I'm sharing a card that I made for a couple of challenges - The Flower Challenge and Addicted to Stamps.




I decided to go outside my comfort zone by using colors I normally wouldn't, because I was inspired by a prior color challenge at Splitcoaststampers, with the colors of Pale Papaya, Calypso Coral and Pear Pizzaz.  In a web search I found a photo of a hibiscus that was a near perfect match for those colors, so I went for it!


The floral image was stamped and colored with Copic markers.  I used quite pale peachy colors for the flower petals, then added the coral to the flower center and stamen.  It's difficult to get much contrast with the pale colors, and after I colored the stem and leaves where I achieved better contrast, I really felt like I had to do more to increase it on the flowers.


I searched through my Polychromos colored pencils and came up with Cinnamon for the lighter portion of the petals then used a reddish brown and two reds to enhance the flower center.  When I was happy with the results, the image and the stamped sentiment were both die cut.  I had the white oval in my stash unused from a prior card making session, so I adhered that to the Pale Papaya card base, then added the floral image and sentiment with foam tape.  Lastly, I added a few white satin sequins to finish things off.


Thanks for taking time to visit, I really appreciate it!  

Take care and stay safe!

Stef


Stamps:  Hibiscus Blooms (Simon Says Stamp)
Paper:  Neenah Solar White, Pale Papaya (Stampin' Up)
Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black
Other:  Hibiscus Blooms dies (SSS), Essential Ovals die (Ellen Hutson), Satin White sequins (Altenew)
Copics:  R24, R02, 01, 00, G46, YG17, 13, 11
Polychromos pencils:  189 Cinnamon, 118 Scarlet Red, 126 Permanent Carmine, 283 Burnt Sienna

6 comments:

Nora Noll said...

You might not use these colors that much but you made a GORGEOUS card!! I love the hibiscus flower and your coloring is perfection.

CherylQuilts said...

Oh, Stef, this is a real beauty! I'm with you that these are not my go-to colors, but you've made them shine! Your coloring is exquisite, and I love the elegant layout with the oval that showcases the die-cut flowers! Love it, sweet friend! (P. S. I saw this new stamp set and just drooled....haha! But I have so much I still need to use. But I always love seeing how you use them!) Hugs and love! xoxo

CHRISTINE BLAIN said...

Pushing yourself out of your colour comfort zone really paid off, my friend! Stef, this is a beautiful card. The contrast, and depth of colour, on the flowers and leaves, is just gorgeous. Beautifully done.

Aileen said...

What a stunning creation this is Stef, you have coloured this beautiful bloom to perfection. Just love love those soft colours. Beautiful card. Thank you so much for joining us at The Flower Challenge and we hope to see you there again soon. Aileen DesignTeam

TaeEun said...

Your coloring on the hibiscus is just WOW! Beautiful shading and color choices! Thank you for sharing this beauty with us at The Flower Challenge!

JoAnn said...

Gorgeous card and gorgeous coloring on those pretty hibiscus. You did a great job mixing and blending the colors. Thanks for sharing.