Sunday, July 5, 2020

Slimline Birthday for The Paper Players

Hello friends!  I hope you are continuing to stay safe and healthy, and had a great 4th of July celebration for those of you in the US!

It's Sunday, which means it's time for a new challenge at The Paper Players!  The lovely Ann is hosting this week, bringing us a theme challenge to use fun and fancy folds!


I am also joining the current challenge at Seize the Birthday, where the toppings option is to use red, white and blue.


Using a fancy fold on my card is not something I've done for a long time but a while back I saw a video by Jennifer McGuire using the dies I purchased from Hero Arts and knew I had case her Inside Out Card for this challenge.


Isn't that a fun card?  I made this for my FIL who was in the Air Corps (Air Force predecessor) in WWII.  He's in his mid 90's and, aside from some age related vision issues, is remarkably doing quite well. Of course, this is not the type of plane he would have flown back then but both he and my husband love any and all airplanes, so I thought he would enjoy this card.

The card uses two dies, one is the airplane and the other is a really cool cloud die.  I first cut the airplane from white and silver card, then paper pieced the "metal" pieces after coloring the body and tire with Copic markers.


The card base is made up of two main panels plus a small panel that are overlapped to create the base, then a third large panel is adhered on the back of the card to cover up all the overlapping pieces.  I started with a panel of white card cut to 4.625 x 8.625 inches, then scored at 1" on the long side.  It was then die cut with the cloud die as was the separate smaller piece in order to create a smaller flap hidden underneath.  Before assembling the card I stamped the sentiment on the front.


The Bristol panel (cut to slightly smaller than 3.625x 8.625 inches) was ink blended using stencils to create the sun and clouds.  Next the cloud die cut panels were folded at the 1" score line and the ink blended panel adhered with strong adhesive, as was the back panel. The final step was to pop up the plane with foam tape and add the die cut bird silhouettes.  A personal message can then be added under the flaps and remain hidden until the clouds are lifted, so to speak!

I realize my explanation of how the card is put together may not be super clear LOL, so if you're interested in making this style card, I highly encourage you to view Jennifer's blog post and video linked above.  It is worth the time and she shows 3-4 examples of her Inside Out card technique with various stamps and dies.


Thank so much for visiting, I always appreciate it!  I do hope you'll pop over to The Paper Players and check out the fantastic designs by the rest of the DT.  Have a great Sunday and week ahead!

Stef


Stamps:  Big on Birthdays (SU)
Paper:  Neenah Solar White, Koh-I-Noor Bristol, Silver metallic
Ink:  Versafine Clair Nocturne, Tumbled Glass, Squeezed Lemonade and Fossilized Amber Distress inks
Other:  Cloudy Sky Scene die (includes the birds) and Airplane Fancy die (HA), Sun Background stencil (HA), Mini Clouds stencil (MFT) 
Copics:  R39, 37, 35, 100

15 comments:

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

This is such a fabulous card Stef - I love the way the overlapping cloud layers frame your cute airplane! Amazing cloud stencilling too. A great fun fold - I'm sure your FIL will love it!

Nancy said...

I didn't come by because you linked up at STB...but sure happy to see that you did. I came by from TPP to get a better look at this clever card! I am over the top impressed right now. Your explanations were great! Such an amazing job! The airplane looks fabulous with the perfect amount of shading. Thanks for playing too! ;)

Brent Scheffer said...

The colors and details o the plane as well as other elements are awesome!

Anne Marie Hile said...

Such a darling card, Stef! What a neat idea to showcase an "inside out card". Such a great idea and I just love how your card came out. Your FIL is going to love this card, too. Wow!

laurie said...

I LOVE this..that is so cute!!!!!

Cindy Beach said...

I love the fun and spunk of your card, Stef! A really cute and excellent design.

LeAnne said...

This card is totally amazing! Your engineering of it boggles my mind! And then there's the stamping, sponging and coloring, not to mention diecutting!! It's a work of art...I wouldn't want to mail it away, LOL!

Stamps-N-Lingers said...

Oh my gosh! I love this card SO much! Wow - the airplane and the inside-out-ness of it with the amazing cloud die cuts. Really a stunner, Stef!!

Jaydee said...

Stef, this was the perfect card to CASE for the challenge this week. Such a vibrant, fun card sure to delight the recipient. awesome job
hugs
jaydee

TiyaB said...

I love cards and my son is a pilot so i vote planes too, this is one of the greatest cards I've ever seen!!!! thanks for sharing!!!

Ann Schach said...

Wow! Absolutely WOW, Stef! This card is awesome! Your father-in-law will LOVE it! You definitely rocked my challenge this week! This has to be one of the cutest cards I have ever seen!!!

Claire Broadwater said...

This is amazing Stef! I love the sun shining on that gorgeous red plane! The details are just amazing! You are so talented! Have a great weekend!

Allisa said...

Your card is perfect! I love all the fun details. Such a super fun card to receive!

shirley-bee said...

What a fab card! I love the cut-away clouds. Thanks for playing along with our red white and blue challenge at Seize The Birthday :)

Christine Blain said...

VERY cool, and such a fun, fitting, card for your father-in-law! You're so clever!