Sunday, March 1, 2020

Abstract Birthday for The Paper Players!

Hello friends, I hope you're having a wonderful day.  It's time for a new challenge at The Paper Players!  The wonderful Anne Marie is hosting and the theme this week is to use heat embossing on our projects.


I'm also joining the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge where the theme this week is Anything Goes.

I often use heat embossing on my cards but usually just for the sentiment.  This time I decided to "go big" and emboss a large background stamp on top of a ink blended panel.


I started by ink blending three shades of Distress Oxide on white card, then splattered with water droplets and let it completely dry overnight.  When I resumed working on this card, I tested it with embossing powder before stamping to make sure the ink was dry and would make a mess by clinging to everything.  I used a Misti so I could ink up and stamp the image twice in Versamark in order to get good coverage.


After the heat embossing was complete, there were still some pesky areas that the embossing powder just didn't stick to very well, so I used a white gel pen to kind of fill in the gaps.  After the panel cooled, it was die cut with a wonky rectangle die.  Next I worked on the sentiment, die cutting the Happy Birthday three times to layer them for some nice dimension.  I adhered the sentiment to a vellum circle then applied dots of glue on the back of the vellum just behind the sentiment and added it to the main panel.  After the panel was adhered to the white card base, the final step was to add a few iridescent jewels for a little bit of sparkle.


Thanks so much for visiting, I always appreciate it!  I hope you'll use the link above and join us for this fun challenge at The Paper Players this week!

Stef


Stamps:  Abstract Triangles (Simon Says Stamp)
Paper:  Neenah Solar White, Vellum
Ink:  Versamark; Bundled Sage, Peacock Feathers and Faded Jeans Distress Oxide
Other:  Alabaster embossing powder (Brustus Monroe), Happy Birthday Script die (SSS), Nested Infinity Circle dies (Hero Arts), Lucy's Little Things Iridescent Jewels

10 comments:

Witchcrafted Life said...

What a fresh, chic, fantastic design. I love the serene vibes that these tropical ocean worthy shades transmit.

♥ Autumn

Nora Noll said...

What a GORGEOUS background!!! Beautiful design.

laurie said...

Sounds like a fun card to make! I love it!

Claire Broadwater said...

Stef, I absolutely LOVE the gorgeous background you created. The colors are amazing and the heat embossed geometric pattern is fabulous! I love the idea of using the white gel pen. The vellum certainly showcases your sentiment! . This card is just perfect! Have a wonderful week, My Friend! XX

Stamps-N-Lingers said...

Oh WOW, Stef! This is wonderful! I am so impressed with the sponged panel and then the huge embossed image!! And - I love the "wonky" rectangle die, too! Great card! :)

Anne Marie Hile said...

Stef, this is GORGEOUS! I love the shaded background and that embossed detail is stunning. What a fun background stamp. I love that the vellum circle grounds the sentient without taking away from all of the beautuful hues on the card. So, SO pretty!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

So much to love about this card Stef - love your fresh blended colours and the heat embossing looks great - no mean feat with such a large area to cover. I love the addition of the vellum circle behind the sentiment too and the sprinkle of gems - all round fabulous!

Allisa said...

Simply stunning! Love your background, it is the perfect backdrop for your layered sentiment!

Ann Schach said...

Oh, Stef! This card is amazing! I love the colors in the background. And then the embossed triangles...WOW! Love it!

Jaydee said...

Stef, I love those triangles and the colors. The bright white happy birthday die is the perfect sentiment. I also love the fact that the card fits either gender. Fabulous card
hugs
jaydee