Thursday, August 1, 2024

Bring On the Treats for Color Hues

Hello friends!  Welcome to August and to the latest Color Hues challenge!  This time I am your hostess and have chosen pink and brown as our hues of color.

I'm also sharing my card over at Addicted to Stamps, where the current theme is "Birthdays".


I had fun making a "sweet" slimline birthday card with cute mice!  


Yes, we have some mice bringing treats for the birthday party!  The first step was to find ink and Copic marker colors that went well together.  Once that was done, the background was ink blended with pink and brown, then I went over the pink with a polka dot stencil.  I varied my inking pressure to create a non-uniform look.  I then splattered the stenciled portion of the background with white iridescent shimmer spray using a paint brush reserved specifically for that task.

Next, all the mice were stamped, colored and die cut.  I used gray for the mice so they would stand out from the background and used various light and dark pinks and browns for the treats.  After stamping the sentiments, the sub-sentiment was cut out with a label die and I fussy cut the happy birthday to give it a fun look.  

The card was assembled with the three middle mice popped up on foam tape, as well as both sentiments.  I used a brown marker to darken the "ground" as it was too light with just the ink blending.  I then colored over the white borders of the die cut images with a brown and pink marker so the die cuts would blend into the background.  I have mixed feelings about doing that; I think next time I would stamp and mask where necessary rather than add die cuts.  But all in all, it still turned out as cute as I'd hoped.  Pink gems were added and an aqua shimmer pen was painted on all the confections for a bit more sparkle.



What are you inspired to create with these colors?  My super talented teammates have a bevy of fabulous cards that will spark your creativity, so be sure to visit the challenge blog before heading off to your crafty space!  The challenge will remain open until 9am EDT Wednesday August 14th.  Hope to see your card in the gallery!

Take care!

Stef

  • Colorado Craft Company/Anita Jeram So Sweet Slimline stamps and dies
  • Simon Says Stamp Slimline Borders Stencil
  • MFT Slimline Skinny Strips die
  • SSS Latte ink
  • Altenew Baby Pink ink
  • Altenew Pink Tourmaline Gem Sparkles
  • Hero Arts White Iridescent Shimmer Mist
  • Tonic Aqua Shimmer pen
  • Sakura White Gelly Roll pen
  • Copics:  E59, 57, 53, 37, 35, 33, 31, 30, RV06, 04, 02, 10, T2, 0

12 comments:

Marcia Hill said...

What an absolutely ADORABLE card Stef! Your color combination worked perfect for critter cards and this one especially! Personally, I love how you colored the white outside edges of your mice to blend in with the background and never would have thought to do that, but I really like the look! Someone is going to be tickled pink to receive this sweet, SWEET card my friend!! Hugs. :0)

Lisa Elton said...

This just makes me smile, it's absolutely adorable!

Julie B said...

Finding Copic pinks is always tricky but you've nailed it here. Those sugary pink colours remind me of sugar mice in the sweet shop! :)

JulieP said...

I am in love with this birthday celebration!!! Your coloring never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for such an awesome color combo!!!

Nancy said...

This is exactly how I feel about sweets! LOL I love this card so much, Stef! We know you are a queen of coloring but your layout and background look fabulous too! Awesome, Awesome job with this duo!

Julia Aston said...

What a fun time those sweet mice are having at the party you created - beautiful coloring on them too! Julia xx

Francesca said...

Simply adorable! Thanks for playing at Addicted to Stamps and more

cm said...

There's a party happening all over your card with the adorable mice sharing sweet birthday treats. Cuteness, plus - and a brilliant, creative way to showcase pink + brown. Love this!
hugs~carol

Karen said...

First, I loved your color choices. It made for a very fun challenge. Second, I adore your card. Your coloring is just amazing! And I love that stamp. I once used it for a challenge, and I'm glad it was a long time ago, because yours is SO. Much. Better!

Cindy Beach said...

I want to say what a great color combo this was, Stef! And your card - I love every little detail! You can just feel the festivity of these mice as they celebrate! Wonderful coloring, as always, and I LOVE that you die cut them. Thanks for inspiring us with your talent!

Tracey McNeely said...

Stef I love your slimline CCC critters, so sweet and thank you for picking such a different and fun colour combination! I just love this and so will the recipient!

Marlena M. said...

Now I'm hungry ;) and I love that look you achieved by coloring the die cut edges!!!