Sunday, August 4, 2024

Beach Time for The Paper Players

Hello friends!  Today at The Paper Players we have an appropriate theme - Beach Time!  I'm hosting this week and would love to see your beautiful cards depicting time at the beach.


I'm also playing along with Time Out Challenges and their words of inspiration "It's always summer somewhere"

I love the beach on the Oregon Coast, where I've spent lots of time, but today my card has a more tropical vibe and I would love to spend time on this beach too!


Isn't that little beach house the cutest?  It's one of three beach houses included in Honey Bee Stamp's Lovely Layers: Beach House die set. It also includes to two smaller palm trees; the larger one is from the Lovely Layers: Hammock set.

To start, every piece was die cut from white cardstock, then I used my Copic and Olo markers to color everything.  It's a bit more work but I find I get more texture in things such as the palm trunks and fronds.  Plus, many of the pieces are so small I find it easier to color than ink blend.  With the coloring complete, everything was assembled and I moved onto the background.

I kept the background very simple to keep the focus on the die cut images, just ink blending what might be perhaps a little lagoon away from the main beach, then adding the sand and the sky. I used a white gel pen to create the gentle waves and add a bit of detail to the flag.  The sentiment was stamped and then the scene was created.  I had created a second beach house but the scene just seemed to busy to I will hold onto it for another card, maybe on a 5" x 7" size - this one is 6" x 4.5".


So what do you enjoy when you're at the beach?  We would love to have you share your beach-y themed card this week.  The challenge stays open until noon Friday 8/9.  In the meantime, my teammates have some fabulous cards to inspire you at the challenge blog, so I encourage you to pop over and take a look.

Also, if check back later, I'll have a second post with my card for The Flower Challenge.

Take care!

Stef
  • Honey Bee Stamps Lovely Layers: Beach House and Lovely Layers: Hammock
  • HB Sunkissed Summer Stamp Set
  • Altenew Sea Glass, Sea Breeze and Turquoise inks
  • Simon Says Stap Latte Ink
  • Sakura White Gelly Roll pen
  • Olo markers - R2.4, 2.2
  • Copic markers - BG07, E75, 55, 37, 33, 31, 30 YR23, Y13

10 comments:

ElizStewart said...

Ste... this card is soooo much fun! I love all the bitty element, the sign post, life preserver, fish garland... just too cute. Great job on the background as well...just perfect.

Loll said...

Hi Stef. Your card is a work-of-art in a card. Amazing design and colouring to bring it to life. Loll xx

Lisa Elton said...

I don't know where your beachy scene is, but I want to be there! Cute card, Stef!

Jan Clothier said...

I'd like to be at that beach too! I love that tropical feel - just like Tahiti and Fiji. The bright colours are what does it, along with the palms. I think the blended background with sand, sea and sky is a wonderful base for the scene, so cleverly done. :-)

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

Oh Stef, I LOVE this card. The beach is my happy place, no matter where it is. I love everything about being by the sea... long walks, shell collecting and people watching! That little beach hut is so wonderful. I especially love the fish strung over the door. Your coloring is fantastic, and well worth the work of coloring all the pieces with alcohol markers. Thanks for sharing this wonderful, tropical creation with us at Time Out. Thanks so much for playing with us at Time Out! It's always a joy to see you in the gallery.

Ann Schach said...

Stef, what an awesome beach scene you have created! The beach house is the BEST. I love the bright and cheery colors you have used. The palm fronds are colored to perfection. They look amazing. Who wouldn't love to lounge on that beach!!!

LeAnne said...

All I can say is "WOW"! This little scene is a work of art! Those trees....that water....the beach hut....it's all amazing! Definitely a place in which I'd like to hang out! Great theme this week for sure!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Stef this is so fabulous - I love your beach scene and the beach hut adds a wonderful bright pop of colour amongst the palms. This card reminds me of the Caribbean for sure - I love it!

Jaydee said...

Stef, this is such fun. What a fabulous scene you have created and I am in love with your little beach hut - what an idyllic scene. Beautifully composed
hugs
jaydee

Carol said...

This card is beachy perfection! I have had my eye on that die set since it came out. Your coloring is outstanding, as always too!