Saturday, January 18, 2020

Hello, Sweet Friend!

Hi friends!  I have a card to share using the Winter Anemone stamp set from Honey Bee.  I've wanted to add this set to my stamp collection for several months and when the Honey Bee birthday celebration sale rolled around in December, I hopped on it!  I inked it up yesterday and created a card using the current challenges at Color Throwdown and Freshly Made Sketches.  I'm also joining the current Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge, where the challenge is to use a stencil and also the Ways To Use It challenge at Splitcoaststampers, where this week's challenge is to use white embossing.




I started by inking up one of the Winter Anemone stamps and coloring with Copic markers aligned with the color challenge. I also used the opportunity to try a couple  of the techniques from Kathy Racoosin's recent Coloring Challenge Road Trip class at Online Card Classes.  The things she ascribes to that I tried to incorporate is to leave a "sweet spot" or white area as you color and to use colored pencils to help deepen the darkness of the "nooks and crannies".  I was a bit hit or miss on the sweet spots at the ends of the petals (old habits die hard!) and I used a dark navy plus two aqua colored pencils to deepen shadows on the flowers, and I love the difference it made!  Definitely something I will look to use on future creations.


During the coloring process I chose to color over the tops of flower stamen as they were just too small to color around, so I used a white gel pen to bring them into focus after the coloring was done.  After die cutting I set the piece aside to concentrate on the background.


The next step was to cut the partial scallop circle for mounting the flowers and stamping the sentiment.  I went for a light gray neutral and because I had to flip the sketch to accommodate the size of the large bouquet, the sentiment was embossed with white embossing powder in the upper right corner of the circle.  Finally light dots were stenciled on the white card base with Fog ink, then I layered on all the pieces.  A few sequins were added to finish things off.  I love how this card turned out using the yummy challenge colors and the clever sketch design.


Big thanks for visiting my blog and taking a look at what I've created!  I appreciate it!  Have a wonderful weekend!!

Stef


Stamps:  Winter Anemone (Honey Bee)
Paper:  Neenah Solar White, Fog (Simon Says Stamp)
Ink:  Gina K Jet Black Amalgam, Versamark, Fog (SSS)
Other: Companion Honey Bee Honey Cuts die, Circles Collection Scallop Framelit (Stampin' Up retired), Halftone Dots stencil (Altenew), Sakura White Gelly Roll pen, Sunken Treasure sequins (SSS), Prismacolor Navy and Aqua colored pencils
Copics:  B39, 37, 34, 32, BG 09, 15, 11, YR 27, 24, Y19 15

6 comments:

Jacquie Southas said...

I love your color choices for these amazing flowers! Thanks for playing along with us at Freshly Made Sketches this month!

Judy Rozema said...

Jaw dropping gorgeous, Stef! WOW! So glad you linked up at FMS!

Cris G. said...

Amazing card and coloring... flowers are beautiful!

Lisa H. said...

This is fantastic! you are nailing the coloring roadtrip class. I love how you used the colors. thanks for linking up to CTD.

Jen Mitchell said...

This is amazing. You will surely get an A+ in your coloring class! Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Stunning Stef and well deserved for your shout-out over at CTD - bravo!