Sunday, January 5, 2020

Celebrate!

Hello friends and welcome back!  In case you didn't see my last post, I was honored to be invited to be a 2020 Guest Designer for The Paper Players and today is my first post in that role.  The theme this week is to make a card with something new, a new baby, a new home, a new puppy or kitty or, as I did for my card, celebrate the New Year.


I'm also entering my card in the current SSS Wednesday Challenge where this week's theme is also something new.

I have been making cards for more than a decade and have collected (and sold or given away) a huge number of stamp sets, but did I ever own one for New Year's?  Heck no!  So, it was wonderful that MFT happened to have a nice sale in early December and I picked up a fireworks stamp set.



I started with a panel of Bristol paper, using a few Distress Inks to blend for the background.  When done, it was heavily splattered first with waterdrops then with white gouache.  I let the panel dry overnight before heat embossing all the fireworks.


The fireworks are two step or layering stamps and I admit I had a bit of trouble lining up a couple of the designs.  So, glitter stars to the rescue!!  I pulled out a retired Stampin' Up stars border punch and created a number of glitter paper stars that I strategically put in the center of some of the fireworks plus scattered them about in the rest of the sky.  Thank goodness, because I really didn't want to start over and I ended up being satisfied with how it looked.  I finished the card by die cutting the sentiment from the same white glitter paper, adhering it to a vellum strip, then wrapping it around the ink blended panel before adding to the card base.


I do have to give credit to Barbara Anders, as her card was the inspiration for my design.  Here is a link to Pinterest where I spotted her beautiful, CAS version.

Thanks so much for you visit and I hope you'll use the link above to check out this week's challenge at The Paper Players.  Additionally, links to the blog of each DT are listed below for your convenience.


The Paper Players Design Team

Stef Perry (you're here!)



Stamps:  Fireworks (MFT)
Paper: Strathmore Bristol, vellum, Glitter White (Simon Says Stamp), Neenah Solar White
Ink:  Versamark; Distress Inks:  Salty Ocean, Seedless Preserves, Chipped Sapphire, Black Soot
Other:  Alabaster embossing powder (Brutus Monroe), A2 Stitched Rectangle Stax die (MFT), Celebrate sentiment die (MFT), Stars punch (SU), White Gouache

10 comments:

laurie said...

Your background is gorgeous..what a great card for the new year! So happy to have you as a GD over at The Paper Players!

Allisa said...

Such a stunning card, love your background panel.

LeAnne said...

So happy to have you playing with us at the Players, Stef! You had me at BLUE----and sparkle! Beautiful creation!

Ann Schach said...

What a beautiful way to celebrate the new year! I love the sparkle! Welcome to The Paper Players Design Team! I am a huge fan of your work!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Stef what a stunning card to begin your GD slot with us over at The Paper Players- that background is amazing! Your fireworks, stars and sparkly sentiment are just perfect to welcome in a new year - fabulous!

Claire Broadwater said...

Stef, welcome to The Paper Players! SO happy to get to know you better and work with you! Your card is absolutely stunning! The background is amazing! The fireworks, stars and sparkly sentiment make me smile! XX

Rosemary said...

love your beautiful inked background! thanks so much for the lovely comment on my card!

Anne Marie Hile said...

Such a fun card to celebrate the New Year, Stef! So happy to have you join us this year. Hugs!

Vicky Hayes said...

This is absolutely stunning Stef! I love the fireworks and the sprinkling of stars just adds to the celebratary feel along with the sparkly sentiment! Congrats on your DT position :)
Vicky x

Jaydee said...

Stef, so glad to have you as our GD this year! I love that wonderful background and all that fabulous shimmer and shine. Fabulous card. Thanks for rocking my challenge this week
Hugs
Jaydee