Monday, April 15, 2024

Big Bold Blooms Birthday for The Flower Challenge

Hello friends!  We're at mid-month and time for our reminder post at The Flower Challenge.  This month we are adding layers to our floral cards.  

This time I used a die cut floral spray to create layers and since I'm using new products, I'm also sharing over at Darnell's April NBUS Challenge. 


I recently had a little shopping trip to Spellbinders and picked up the Copperplate Sentiment press plates and the Big Bold Blooms dies.  Betterpress ink in Bark was used to press the happy birthday sentiment onto a panel of the Betterpress porcelain paper.  The spectacular calligraphy used for the sentiment font absolutely makes me giddy, it's so beautiful!

Next all the spray components were die cut from white cardstock, then the leaves and flowers were ink blended with a number of Distress inks and I used brown Copic markers to color the little branches and flower centers, and warm grays to shade the white buds (?berries?).  Creating floral arrangements does not come naturally to me so I definitely borrowed ideas from the card samples for the Copperplate Sentiments on the SB website.  The colors were ones used by Amy R in this post on Prairie Paper and Ink, which was for Color Throwdown #787.  I love me some aquas and teals, and when paired with olive green, well, it just makes my heart happy!

After building the spray and adhering it to the card front, the last step was to add some bling with three Simon Says Stamp Surf Dazzling Gems.


If you haven't already, we'd love to have you show your layers, or share a second card!  Be sure to head over to the blog for all the beautiful inspiration from my wonderful teammates.

Thanks for visiting.  Take care!

Stef

  • Spellbinders Big Bold Blooms and Envelope of Wonder (2 leaves) dies
  • Spellbinders Copperplate Happy Birthday Press Plate
  • Salvaged Patina, Peacock Feathers, Uncharted Mariner, Crushed Olive, Peeled Paint and Rustic Wilderness Distress inks
  • Copics - E44, 47, W0, 1, 3, 5

8 comments:

Marcia Hill said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL card Stef!! I love your letter press birthday sentiment...soooo elegant! And your floral spray is absolutely lovely! I have that die set too and need to remember more often to pull it out! Lovely, lovely card my friend!! Hugs. :0)

Lisa Elton said...

That is a beautiful font on the sentiment and I like that you kept your design simple to showcase it! Marvelous card, Stef!

JoAnn said...

Beautiful!!! Love the pretty blue flowers (one of my favorite flower dies set). That big sentiment is pretty & elegant.

Darnell said...

Layering is a foreign language to me, too, Stef, so thank you for this amazing example which I can now use to guide my efforts! Your composition and coloring are beautiful! Thank you for inspiring everyone to use their NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

Bobby said...

That sentiment font is gorgeous, Stef. I can see why you wanted it. I have that Big Bold Blooms set and it is so versatile. I'm always seeing cards using it. I love how yours frames the corner to let the sentiment have plenty of room to shine.

Vicky Hayes said...

Your whole card made me feel giddy Stef! What a beauty with the teals and greens in the flower spray and that stunning sentiment! Vicky x

Cindy Beach said...

You will win me over to letterpress if you keep this up, Stef! I love that big scripty greeting! Your blooms have such dimension with your amazing coloring and I love the hues. This is one of my favorite cards from you lately. It's lovely, dramatic, and an amazing design!

Nancy said...

I missed this gorgeous card! Love the colors and the bold greeting. Well done my dear!