Sunday, October 1, 2023

Hey You! for Color Hues

Hello friends!  Another month has flown by and here we are on October 1st, and that means a new Color Hues Challenge!  This time the lovely Cindy has chosen the beautiful combination of blue and coral.

I love these two colors together and decided to bring out another embossing folder for my card, this time using the Simon Says Stamp Darcy Bouquet and dies.


I chose to use Distress Watercolor paper because I wasn't quite certain if I was going to do some water coloring, but in the end decided to do ink blending.  The panel was first embossed with the Darcy Bouquet folder, then I added a very light application of Abandoned Coral Distress Oxide to the panel center, then covered the edges with Salty Ocean.  When that was done, the panel was trimmed down slightly and splattered with Dr. Ph Martin's Bleed Proof White.  You know how there are times when your white splatters absorb the colors underneath and then don't look so white?  This paint doesn't do that, which I love!


The next step was to use the die to cut out the three flowers, then I taped them into the embossing folder and ran it through my Platinum 6.  I inked blended them with the Abandoned Coral ink, using a bit heavier hand, then added to the depth of color towards the flower centers using two Copic markers.  I used the same white paint to color the flower centers, then added them to the card front with foam squares.  The sentiment, from MFT's Stylish Sentiments stamp set was stamped in Salty Ocean then die cut with one of Altenew's Featured Sentiment dies.  The panel was adhered directly to the card base, the sentiment popped up using foam squares and I was done.


So how will you use these two colors?  I hope you're inspired to play along and my amazingly talented teammates have even more inspiration to share - just use the link above.  The challenge will remain open until 9 am Saturday October 14th - I hope to see your card in the gallery!

Thanks for stopping by and take care!

Stef

8 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

Very pretty card, Stef! I like that you brought the blue back in with that cute little sentiment

Julie B said...

Love the way you've die cut some flowers to add to the center of the bouquet, adds fab dimension to the design. :)

Nancy said...

I gasped when I saw this card on the DT blog! Great job with the colors and also doing something a bit unexpected. Have a great week!

Cindy Beach said...

I just love this, Stef! Your use of the colors is stunning! Of course I love the embossing detail and the added texture of the die cut florals. Great tip about the white paint too.

cm said...

Beautiful floral arrangement that looks, from my perspective, like a watercolour painting. A pretty, inspiring take on the colour combination.
hugs~carol

JulieP said...

Your design has so much depth to it. It's amazing!!! So beautiful

Marcia Hill said...

This is a real WOW card Stef and I'm totally loving it!! It's a beautiful embossing folder to begin with and I love, LOVE how you added the extra flowers on top with the foam to really make them stand out! Absolutely GORGEOUS my friend!! Hugs. :0)

Tracey McNeely said...

Stef I have read your entire post over three times to capture all the details and learned something new about the Dr. Ph Martin's Bleed Proof White! In my cart! Thank for the tip. The card overall is absolutely gorgeous--I love everything about it and the thoughtful way you created it!