Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Hello, Sunshine for Color Hues

Hi friends, welcome back!  It's time for a new challenge at Color Hues and this time I chose the combination of red and yellow because it is just so summery.  However, as you'll see if you pop over to the challenge blog, my amazing teammates used these colors in a wonderful array of designs!  


I had many possibilities running through my mind when I chose these colors, but ultimately I just had to go with sunflowers!


When Simon Says Stamp released both the Bountiful Sunflower and the Little Sunflower Bloom in June, I knew that's what I'd be using for this card.  The flowers were die cut from Distress Watercolor paper, then colored with Distress Watercolor pencils.  However, the colors just weren't vibrant enough for me, so I added color and shading using Copic markers.


After toying with various different options for the background, I ended up using a trellis cover plate die cut in white over a panel of dark brown card stock that was adhered to a white card base.  Before adhering the background together, the panel of brown along with the three sunflowers were lightly splattered with gold metallic paint.  While the paint dried, the sentiment was die cut from matte gold paper and added to a white shadow die that had been layered on two additional die cuts.  The card was then assembled and I called it done!


So what will you be inspired to create with these colors?  I hope to see your card in the gallery - the challenge remains open until 9:00 a.m. Monday, August 28th.

Take care!

Stef


Dies:  Simon Says Stamps Bountiful Sunflower Blossom, Little Sunflower Bloom and Hello, Sunshine sentiment dies; Altenew Garden Trellis Cover die
Paper:  Distress Watercolor, Neenah Solar White, SSS Dark Chocolate and Matte Gold
Distress Watercolor Pencils:  Mustard Seed, Fossilized Amber, Lumberjack Red
Copics:  YR27, 24, Y15, 11, R59, 46, 27, E59, 47
Other:  Gansi Tambi Starry Colors Metallic paints

12 comments:

Julie B said...

I never would never have thought of going with sunflowers but then after seeing your card it's just so right! Your card is full of late summer gorgeousness.:)

Lisa Elton said...

Your vibrant sunflowers are incredible! This is a marvelous card, Stef!

Karen said...

These glorious sunflowers on the trellis make the ultimate summer card! Love the splatters and the vibrant colors!

Cindy Beach said...

Great colors for us, Stef! Your sunflowers are magnificent, I love the card design so much. The trellis and splatters, your gorgeous coloring and the matte gold sentiment are great details.

Nancy said...

This is absolutely amazing, Stef! I think what makes it go from a gorgeous card to a sensational card is putting the black behind it. I am in awe of the colors of the sunflowers as they are shaded so well. I am bowing down as I type!

Marcia Hill said...

Looks like we were both thinking the same thing as far as sunflowers Stef for your bold and bright color combo, but I never would have thought of making a red sunflower and I have to admit that I am blown away by it!! Your trio of beauties is so pretty and look FABULOUS against the dark brown & white background! Lovely, lovely card my friend and a fun, FUN color challenge...I loved it!! Hugs and have a great weekend!! :0)

Vicky Hayes said...

Hi Stef. We used to go on holiday to a cottage in the grounds of an abbey that had the most beautiful gardens. One of my favourite areas to sit was The Hot Garden which was full of these colours - reds, oranges, yellows. Your beautiful card has brought back lots of memories! Love the addition of gold splattering which gives a bit of a cosmic look to the card! Vicky x

Marlena M. said...

Stunningly beautiful!!!

Tracey McNeely said...

Stef your sunflowers and overall design are so beautiful. I love the red and yellow sunflowers and the black background makes them pop off the card. Love love love this!

Julia Aston said...

Wonderful bright sunflowers in red and yellow!

JulieP said...

This is just so striking!!! The beautiful sunflowers really pop against that fabulous b/w background. Great color combo Stef!!!

cm said...

Stef, your trio of sunflowers is ohmystars gorgeous! They pop beautifully against the black/white trellis background. As always, your eye for design dazzles and delights!
hugs~carol