Sunday, May 24, 2020

Birthday Fishes for The Paper Players!

Hello friends and welcome back!  It's time for a new challenge at The Paper Players.  This week, the fabulous LeAnne is hosting our monthly sketch challenge.

I took the opportunity to create my first true "slimline" card, although I have made tall and skinny cards in the past.  But never quite as tall and skinny as this, measuring 3.5" x 8.5"!  I thought it would be a great opportunity to create an underwater scene and use the new-to-me Gill Friends.


These little fish just make me smile!  I stamped and colored them with Copic markers, and probably only the clown fish is colored anywhere close to real life, but that was part of the fun of it!  When I created this card I did not as yet have the matching die set so they were fussy cut after the coloring was complete.


Next came the background.  There are tons of ways to make a watercolor background but I wanted to try a new technique.  A piece of glossy white paper was cut in half lengthwise, then painted with various colors of Distress Oxide inks.  Because of the nature of that ink, when it dries it has a chalky finish to it and the colors seem muted.  To bring out the colors and add back the shine, Distress Micro Glaze was lightly applied over the entire surface then rubbed with a dry cloth to reveal more vibrant colors and get rid of the chalky finish.  A more dramatic background can be achieved if you do layers of DOX ink using the "smoosh" technique. Here's a link to a YT video by Amy Rysavy of Prairie Paper and Ink that has fantastic instructions, if you're interested.


The last thing to add to the background panel was a splatter of white gouache.  When that dried the panel was trimmed down, adhered to slightly larger layer of Blue Violet card then added to the card base.  The fish were added, some with foam tape and then the embossed sentiment adhered at the top.  I used a new die from Trinity Stamps to create the Slimline Envelope in a light blue card stock.

That's it!  Thanks for sticking around if you've made it this far!  Be sure to use the link above to check out the amazing creations by the rest of the DT and hopefully play along with us this week!

Stef


Stamps:  Gill Friends (MFT)
Paper:  Neenah Solar White, Blue Violet and Sea Glass (Simon Says Stamp), White Glossy
Ink:  Gina K Obsidian Amalgam, Versamark, Tumbled Glass, Mermaid Lagoon, Salty Ocean, Chipped Sapphire, Wilted Violet DOX
Other:  Tim Holt Distress Micro Glaze, Wow Bright White Super Fine embossing powder, White Gouache, Slimline Series Envelope Builder die (Trinity Stamps), Copic markers

10 comments:

LeAnne said...

What a cute underwater scene! And that's what I love about stamping...we can take artistic license and make our fish or flowers or whatever, any color we want! They all look very happy swimming around! Thanks for making my sketch look awesome!

laurie said...

Awesome underwater scene...so cute! Happy memorial day!

Vicky Hayes said...

I absolutely love your fishy card Stef and love the long thin card format (enabling you to get even more of your fantasy fish in there!) I was interested to read about the DOX background and how you intensified the colours. The gouache really adds to that other-worldly feel of the deep ocean. Vicky x

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

That background is amazing Stef - as is your collection of rainbow fish! That's the best thing about making your own cards, you can colour things however you like! Great slimline design too - it really adds to the feeling of depth of the ocean. Love this card!

Stamps-N-Lingers said...

Oh - this is wunnermus! I love the background and your adorable fish - and that sweet little punny sentiment! And it's so fun that it's tall and skinny!! :)

Claire Broadwater said...

Tall and Skinny----- makes me smile! I love cards this size and your background is amazing!!!!!!! All your little fish are so colorful. Makes me long for the beach! Have a great weekend! XX

Jaydee said...

Stef, this is one of my favorite sets and you showcased it beautifully. your background is gorgeous and your little fishies remind me of snorkeling in the Carib. Fabulous card, my friend
hugs
jaydee

Ann Schach said...

What a great take on the sketch, Stef! I LOVE the little underwater scene you have made. The background is fabulous, and I loved reading about how you created it. It's such a fun card!

Allisa said...

Super cute card, love your background!

Anne Marie Hile said...

As always, I love the detail you add to your cards, Stef! The color gradient background is stunning! Wow!