Monday, May 18, 2020

A Pair for the SCS Color Challenge

Hello friends and welcome back!  It's time for a new Color Challenge at Splitcoaststampers!  Chris is hosting and has chosen the lovely combo of Shaded Spruce, Granny Apple Green and Coastal Cabana with a dessert option to use a circle.  I hope you'll be able to join the Color Challenge this week!

I loved this color combination so much I ended up making two cards!  My second card is also for the SCS CAS challenge to use splatters and joining the current challenge at Fab Friday (see below).

Just a warning, this post is content and photo heavy!

For my first card, I used a fun design idea that Jennifer McGuire used recently on this post.  (Actually she's used this technique several times on her blog).  I took scrap pieces of card stock in the challenge colors, plus white, and cut what seemed like a jillion strips of paper in varying sizes.  Next, I added adhesive to an entire panel of inexpensive white card stock (or you could use copy paper) and started layering on the strips, varying sizes and colors in a random order.


When the entire panel was covered, I trimmed off the overhanging bits of paper strips, then used my paper trimmer to cut it down to 3.75" x 5".  I used that same sheet adhesive on a panel of vellum and then die cut it with a circle die.  When adding to my card, I left a bit overhanging the side and trimmed that off as well.


The white eucalyptus leaves were die cut, adhered to the vellum circle, the sentiment added, then the panel was mounted on the card base with foam tape.  I really think this design would work well for a recipient of either gender.


On to card number two!  For this card I used the current sketch challenge at Fab Friday for my design inspiration.


For the second card, I decided to do some stenciling with Distress Oxide inks on a panel of Shaded Spruce card stock.  DOX ink colors similar to Coastal Cabana and Granny Apple Green were used.  Stamping or stenciling with DOX inks on dark card leaves a lovely subtle effect.  I used leaf stencils down one side of the panel then splattered with some white gouache and a little bit of shimmer spray.


While the panel dried I stamped the sentiment, die cutting it and the Coastal Cabana layer from oval dies.  The leaf dies were also die cut in white card, then adhered to the dried panel.  The sentiment was then layered on top with foam tape.


Next a scallop rectangle die was adhered to the card base, then the main panel was added with foam tape.  And that finished off card #2!  Actually neither card took long to make and were both put together in one afternoon.


Thanks so much for visiting, I really appreciate it!  I hope you and yours continue to stay safe and healthy!  Have a great week!

Stef


Card #1
Stamps:  Tiny Words (Simon Says Stamp)
Paper:  Neenah Solar White, Granny Apple Green, Coastal Cabana, Shaded Spruce, Vellum, Black
Ink:  Versafine Clair Nocturne
Other:  Nested Infinity Circle die (Hero Arts), Happy die and Eucalyptus dies (both SSS)

Card#2
Stamps:  Painted Greetings (Altenew)
Paper:  Neenah Solar White, Shaded Spruce, Coastal Cabana
Ink:  Versafine Clair Nocturne; Cracked Pistachio, Peacock Feathers, Twisted Citron and Mowed Lawn DOX 
Other:  A2 Scallop Rectangle die (Honey Bee), Fab Foliage dies (MFT), Layering Oval dies (ret. SU), Leaves Stencil (SSS), Tsukineko Sparkle Shimmer Spray, White Gouache

3 comments:

Amanda Mertz said...

Beautiful cards and the colors are stunning together! I like your choice of an oval in place of the flag sentiment in the sketch. The subtle stenciling is beautiful as well! Thanks for sharing at Fab Friday!

Heather said...

So lovely, Stef! All the greens together are perfect, and I love that leafy paper! Thanks so much for playing at Fab Friday!

stampwithamyk said...

Beautiful cards! Love the die cuts, perfect colors too! Thanks for joining us at Fab Friday, hope to see you again soon!