Thursday, April 16, 2020

Celebrating Heroes at Seize the Birthday!

Hello friends, so glad you could take time from your day to visit my blog!  I hope you are continuing to stay safe and healthy!

The team at Seize the Birthday is having an extra special challenge this week, to celebrate and thank the heroes on the front lines during the Coronavirus pandemic.  These courageous people, our doctors, nurses, first responders, grocery employees, postal employees, delivery company employees, mass transit drivers are our heroes so I hope you'll join the challenge and create a card to honor and thank them.

For my card, I used two of the four free digi stamps of Birdie Brown Nurses and Doctors (which you can find here.).  Normally I use Copic markers for coloring images, but my printer isn't Copic friendly (e.g. cheap ha ha) and the ink smears with Copics.  However, this forced me to dust off my colored pencils and put them to use for coloring these images.  It was fun to challenge myself with this medium but I could definitely use more practice!


For my first card, I printed out one of the doctor stamp sets on Neenah Solar White and after coloring her with Prismacolor pencils, I die cut the image with an oval die.  The sentiment is actually from the other doctor stamp set and fit the theme of our challenge best.


For the background panel, white pigment ink was blended through a brick wall stencil, then die cut to fit on a white A2 card.  The doc oval was added to a slightly larger oval then adhered to the base with fun foam, as was the sentiment.  Because I kept the card pretty simple, I adhered a trio of dew drops for a little bit of additional interest.


For my second card, I used one of the nurse stamp sets.  I found a color combo for red hair that I really liked and then went with aqua/turquoise scrubs.  When the coloring was done and the image die cut, I went searching through my patterned paper and found a great plaid piece from MFT.  The sentiment at the bottom is from the other nurse stamp set.  I just thought "super hero in scrubs" was fabulous, so I had to use it.  The final touch was adding some turquoise crystals.


The layout I used for both cards was based on the current sketch challenge at Fab Friday.



Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate it so much!  Stay safe, my friends!

Stef


Stamps:  Super Hero in Scrubs, Doctor's Orders, Call the Shots, Bedside Manner (MFT digis)
Paper:  Neenah Solar White, Perfect Plum, Blackberry Bliss (both SU), Plaid Patterns 6x6 pad (MFT)
Ink:  Unicorn White (Hero Arts)
Other:  Layering Ovals and Stitched Shapes Framelits (ret. SU), A2 Stitched Rectangle Stax die (MFT), English Brick Wall stencil (MFT), Ocean Wave Crystals (Studio Katia), Dew Drops, Prismacolor Premier Colored Pencils

11 comments:

Heather said...

What awesome and supportive cards! Love the images and sentiments, and your colors and papers are so cheery! Adorable! Thanks so much for playing at Fab Friday!

Barbara said...

It looks like we all made really good use of these free digi's. So nice to receive them free and send them off to deserving Healthcare workers.

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

These are both adorable and perfect for the current times we live in! I am off to hunt out those digi stamps Stef - I have a friend who is a nurse and I think a card like this would cheer her up no end!

JoAnn said...

Love both of your cards for our heroes. You did a great job with the coloring pencils and matching the papers. Love how you used the stencil and white ink for the background on the first card. I thought it was patterned paper.

Lindsey said...

These are both terrific! Printer ink + Copics, I know all about that. :D Beautiful work with your pencils!

Amanda Mertz said...

Your coloring is fabulous and the color combos of the papers works perfectly with your images. Thanks for sharing at Fab Friday!

Colleen said...

Stef, these cards are awesome! I mailed mine off, just when the doctor came home from Sacramento...he sure appreciated the card as did his wife...said it looked like him except he has hints of gray, where I highlighted it!*wink I live in West Linn, so really close to your old "stamping" ground! Thank you for joining us again for these special hero cards! Heart Hugs, Colleen

Nancy said...

Love both of these Stef! I so appreciate you stepping up any making extra cards this month on short notice! Your coloring skills are amazing. I really can't decide which one I like better! Thanks so much!!

Vicky Hayes said...

These are just lovely Stef and the colouring with pencils just perfect. LOVE the purple brick wall and the bright plaid backgrounds. Vicky x

Nora Noll said...

What darling cards you created!! I have yet to use these images because they are kind of daunting to me printing them out on our printer. I love your coloring you did. My colored pencil work would NEVER look like yours!

Diane said...

These are both adorable and so perfect for our everyday hero's.

Hugs Diane