Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Go For It!

Hi there!  My card today is one made for a couple of challenges at Splitcoaststampers plus the current Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge where the theme is Anything Goes.

The theme of this week's SCS Teapot Tuesday is What is Your Animal? where our card should reflect non-domestic animals that we love.  The SCS CAS Challenge theme is Go Outside.

Like so many young girls, I was crazy about horses.  Black Beauty and The Black Stallion were my favorite books.  While I was never able to own a horse personally, as a girl and periodically into adulthood I had opportunities to ride horses (LOVE!).  A remarkable thing occurred in Oregon in 1977 when Kiger mustangs were identified in Southeastern Oregon as a separate type of Mustang directly descended from Spanish horses brought to North America in the 17th century.  These are wild mustangs that have a specific "dun" (ranges from light gray to tan to reddish) color and can have a dorsal strip along the back as well as dark manes, tails, and sometimes noses and stockings with other primitive markings on the legs.  I found several photos of these beautiful creatures on line and used them as a basis to create my card.


I used a multitude of Copic markers to get the color of the horse just right and create the sketchy background.  Once complete it was die cut and mounted on a base that was embossed with a woodgrain embossed folder.  A bit of twine was the final touch.


Thanks for taking time to visit!

Stef


Stamps:  Let It Ride (SU)
Paper:  Neenah Solar White and Desert Storm
Ink:  Gina K Amalgam Black
Other:  Wonky Stitched Rectangle die (SSS), Jute Twine, Copics
 

3 comments:

RaeDeen Bittner said...

Wow! What an amazing focal point! You did an outstanding job coloring your wild mustang!

Joyce said...

Beautiful card! I got this set for my granddaughter that loves horses. I love the stitched edging - what brand die is that if you don't mind sharing?

Stef Perry said...

Hi Joyce, thanks for taking time to comment on my post! Since I don't have you're email, I'm replying to your question here and hope you see it. The die is the Wonky Rectangle die from Simon Says Stamp, although I think a few other companies make them as well (MFT, maybe?). Hope that helps!