Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Wicked for Color Hues

Happy October, friends!  It's the first of the month and time for a new challenge at Color Hues.  The lovely Julie B. has chosen a wonderful color combination of purple and orange, which made my Halloween-lovin' heart so happy!  Of course, there are many ways one can use this combination - a graphic design, flowers or just a Fall themed card with pumpkins.

I'm also joining Inkspirational, where the theme is Headwear, and my old teammates at Sunday Stamps for a color challenge that couldn't be more perfect for my card with purple, orange and black.


So, no surprise, I went full Halloween in creating this card, keeping a tradition with my grandkids that started when they were small, so, so many years ago lol!



This card is a combination of four die sets, three from Tim Holtz's recent release and one from Spellbinders.  The card size ended up being 5" x 7" to encompass the whole scene.

I started by ink blending the background.  The moon stencil comes with a mask, so I used that while blending some orange around its perimeter then moving on to purples and black.  When I removed the mask, I lightly inked it with orange, using the stencils to create darker areas on the moon, then went over it lightly with a darker orange to mute the color somewhat. I again used the moon mask while adding white acrylic paint splatters to emulate stars in the sky.

The witch, pumpkin, hat, shoes and sentiment were all die cut from various pieces of glitter paper.  I die cut the sentiment a second time from black cardstock and layered beneath the orange glitter paper to give it more stability.  The graveyard and bats were also die cut from black.  Vellum with double sided adhesive on the back was used for the ghosts, which made adhering them very easy and I didn't have to find ways to hid adhesive.  The last step I took before adding all the images to the card front was to use an orange Copic marker to darken the orange glitter paper. 

I am very happy with how this turned out. Now my husband wants me to create one like it to hang in the front window by the door (obviously, we both love Halloween!).  


What are you inspired to create with these colors?  I encourage you to head over to the challenge blog (linked above) and see what my talented teammates and wonderful guest designers Trina Pham and Stephanie Lanzalotto came up with and hope to see your card in the gallery!  The challenge will remain open until 9 am EDT Monday October 14th.

Thanks for visiting and take care!

Stef

  • Spellbinders Witchin' Heels
  • Tim Holtz/Sizzex Vault Fright Night (graveyard and ghosts), Vault Gothic Portraits (wicked sentiment), and Vault Wicked (bats)
  • Picket Fence Haunted Moon Stencils
  • Villainous Potion, Wilted Violet, Rusty Hinge, Wild Honey, Carved Pumpkin and Black Soot Distress Inks

No comments: