Friday, March 1, 2024

Framed Florals for Color Hues

Hello friends and hello to March 1st too!  As usual, the weeks and months are flying by, with today being the start of our new challenge at Color Hues.  This time, sweet Tracey has chosen a lovely combination of turquoise and green.


I decided to pair up my new Altenew Acrylic Markers with two floral stencils and make two cards.


When the acrylic markers first came out, I saw a Jennifer McGuire video where she paired them with stencils and I thought it looked fun and easy to do, so I used her technique with these two floral stencils.  I started stenciling on white cardstock, but realized the colors would pop even more on black.  As Jennifer showed in her video, I just traced around the edge of the leaf or petal in the stencil then filled in the middle.  It went pretty quickly so that's why I ended up making two cards.

After I created these cards, Altenew held an IG hop on 2/16 with lots of inspiration, so if you're interested you can check it out at @altenewllc.


For this first card, the stenciled image is so large that I ended up creating a 5.75" x 4.5" card, which can be mailed in an A6 envelope.  I created a thin frame from matte silver cardstock and added it to the main image that had been adhered directly to the card base.  The sentiment is one left over after a foiling session using some of my Betterpress plates and I finished things off with some iridescent clear drops.


The colored panel for the second card was trimmed down and adhered behind a thick frame cut from the same matte silver cardstock using two sizes of rectangle dies, then added to the black card base with foam tape.  The silver sentiment and vellum shadow were added along with some Aurora Borealis gem stickers from Honeybee Stamps.


What will you create with these two colors?  We'd love to have you join us but before you run off to your craft room, be sure to take a peek at what my amazingly talented teammates and guest designer Tenia have created for your inspiration!  

Thanks for stopping by.  Take care!

Stef

Card #1
  • Gina K Bold Bouquet stencil
  • You Are Everything Betterpress Sentiments & Dies
  • Spellbinders Black Glimmer Hot Foil
  • Neenah Solar White, Hammermill, Hero Arts Pitch Black and Simon Says Stamp Matte Silver cardstock
  • SSS A2 Thin Frame die
  • Hero Arts Nested Rectangle die
  • Altenew Acrylic Markers
  • Pinkfresh Studio Iridescent Clear Drops
Card #2
  • SSS XL Rose Bouquet Stencil
  • SSS Big Scripty Hugs dies
  • Altenew Acrylic Markers
  • Hero Arts Pitch Black and SSS Matte Silver cardstock, Lawn Fawn Pearlescent Vellum
  • Hero Arts Nested Rectangle dies
  • HoneyBee Stamps Aurora Borealis Gem Stickers

10 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

Fabulous cards, Stef! I like the drama the black adds!

Julie B said...

Your bright colours really pop against the black, they remind me of velvet painting kits from years ago. Those acrylic markers are a new one to me so I will have to go investigate further! :)

Karen said...

Stef, both these cards are stunning! You were certainly correct about the colors popping against the black. I've never thought to use markers with stencils, but I'm pinning these to my Techniques folder so I don't forget to give it a try!

Marcia Hill said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! Both of these cards are absolutely FABULOUS Stef!! The colors just totally POP off the black backgrounds and I am still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor here! Lovely, lovely cards my friend!! Hugs. :0)

Cindy Beach said...

I agree with Marcia, Stef, this card is a WOW! that surely made me gasp when I saw it. The bright colors look amazing with the black background. You are amazing with techniques and your eye for colors! I love all the silver border on the second card.

Nancy said...

Markers with stencils who knew, apparently you! These are beautiful, Stef, and I love that you used a bold background. Thanks for the inspiration to try something new. Take care.

Greta said...

These are so striking and beautiful! I haven't really checked out those new markers, but you make me want to!

Tracey McNeely said...

Absolutely stunning, both of them. I do not have these markers, yet, but after seeing you use them I need to investigate. Stef these are so lovely and you are right about the black background! I just can't stop looking at these! xo

JoAnn said...

Wow, these are fabulous. The colors just pop on the black background - so pretty.

JulieP said...

This looks like vibrant stained glass!!! So pretty!!!