Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Sulfur Cosmos for Color Hues

Hello and welcome!  It's the first of the month and that means it's time for a new challenge at Color Hues!  This time the amazing Jules has chosen the beautiful combo of Coral and Sage.


When I saw those colors, I immediately thought of my as yet unused Craft-a-Flower: Sulfur Cosmos dies from Altenew.


For starters, I pulled out some Distress watercolor paper, smooshed Abandoned Coral and Bundled Sage on my glass mat, then laid down a base color on the flowers and leaves.  My intent was to add layers of watercolor but I came to the quick realization that my ink pads were very dry and I was shocked to find that out of all the Distress reinkers I have, those two colors were not amongst them!  So, in order to create more depth and dimension, I ended up using my copic markers on the flowers, leaves and the flower centers.


Next came the card base and sentiment.  Originally, I was going to use white on white for the background but I had just received the Distress Kraft Heavystock and thought it would add a bit more interest.  The panel was die cut with the Altenew Scallops Cover die, adhered to a white base measuring 4.5" x 5.75", then added the die cut flowers and leaves.  The sentiment, which is from the Simon Says Stamp Black-Eyed Susan stamp set, was gold heat embossed on a strip of the kraft heavystock, die cut with the coordinating die.  Before adding the sentiment to the card front, I lightly splattered it with white gouache and gold metallic paint.  When that dried, the sentiment was popped up with thin foam squares and I added a few Altenew gold sequins.  


So what are you inspired to make with these colors?  I hope you'll join us for this challenge, it's open until 9 am EST 2/14.  In the meantime, be sure to pop over to the challenge blog and see the gorgeous cards by the other DT members! 

Take care!

Stef
 

10 comments:

Cindy Beach said...

Hi Stef,
I couldn't wait another minute to comment on this beauty! I love the gorgeous cosmos die. I'm always drawn right away to your gouache spatters! You rocked the colors and the kraft background look so pretty, it add just the right contrast. Hugs!

Tracey McNeely said...

Stef this is so stunning, there is so much going on but it all comes together beautifully. Love love love!!

Lisa Elton said...

WOW, Stef this is one gorgeous card!!

Karen said...

This card is truly a stunner! Those florals are SO beautiful, and they just pop off the page! I love that kraft background, too.

Julie B said...

Gorgeous Steph! Love your kraft background and your improvised method of colouring, adds just the right amount of texture to the blooms. :)

Marcia Hill said...

WOW, WOW, WOW! Your flowers are absolutely STUNNING Steph! Your coloring is perfection and shows so much dimension on each petal! Lovely, lovely card!! Hugs. :0)

Bonnie said...

WOW! These flowers have wonderful depth! Gorgeous card, Steph!

Nancy said...

You killed it, Stef! I could look at this all day...along with the card I have in my studio that you recently sent me! So much talent! You are going to tire of hearing that statement.

JulieP said...

Holy Cow! The depth of your colors is amazing! This is just so stunning! Thanks for making my color choice look so awesome.

Marlena M. said...

Stunning!!!