Sunday, July 11, 2021

Tropical Birthday Shaker for Sunday Stamps

Welcome back friends, it's time for a new Sunday Stamps challenge, where we have a fun color combination for you to create with.


I really love the combination of orange, aqua and navy so those are the colors I used for my card, along with a little neutral light brown for the sand. I just could find a way to use the gray in the color board that made sense, and still abides by the challenge rules to use at least 3 of the colors.


I recently bought a stencil with the tropical scene and thought it would work well for combining the orange and aqua.  I used Distress Inks on Bristol paper to get a smooth blend and ink application. I used three shades of orange to get a bit deeper color at the top of the sky.  I masked off a strip to create the "ocean", then flipped it around to mask off the bottom and added some light brown for the "sand", which is easier to see in the next photo.  I used a white gel pen to create the look of waves in the water then set the panel aside to dry. (The white stripes between the ocean and sand are part of the stencil)


Because the stenciled image is round, I thought it would be fun to make this a shaker card.  I cut a panel of navy cardstock to 5"x 7", then die cut a circle in the upper part of the panel.  A piece of acetate was glued onto the back, then I proceeded to add two layers of foam tape around the circle and covering the entire back of the panel.  I trimmed down the stenciled image, piled some sequins on it, then adhered the navy panel over it.  After adding this to a white card base, the sentiment was die cut from orange cardstock and layered on the shadow layer cut from Bristol.  I just felt like something else was needed so a scallop circle was die cut and added as an outside border around the shaker.  A few more sequins and the sentiment were adhered to finish things off.


Thanks so much for visiting, I appreciate it!  Be sure to use the link above to check out the other DT members beautiful cards and hopefully be inspired to play along with us!

Stef


Stamps:  None
Paper:  Soft Navy (Simon Says Stamp), Aqua Sky (Concord & 9th), Pumpkin Pie (SU), Strathmore Bristol
Ink:  Cracklin' Campfire, Ripe Persimmon, Spiced Marmalade, Peacock Feathers, Antique Linen and Tea Dye Distress
Other:  Palm Tree Stencil (Erin Lee Creative), Happy Birthday Brush Script die (Simon Says Stamp), Stitched Scallop Circle (Pinkfresh Studio), Nested Infinity Circle die (Hero Arts), Acetate Sheet (HA), Sakura White Gelly Roll pen, sequins from my stash

2 comments:

Dorlene Durham said...

Beautiful!

Heidi Baks said...

This color combo is perfect for your scene! I love the addition of the shaker effect.