Thursday, July 8, 2021

Birthday Stripes

Hello friends and welcome back! The card I'm sharing today is for two challenges - Color Hues and the Paper Players. 



In thinking about my card design, I decided that I would use strips of paper for the stripes for Anne Marie's challenge.


I started by taping a piece of cold press watercolor paper to a board and thoroughly wetting it.  Then I used 4 Karin markers in different shades of blue to get a medium to light blue ombre or color gradient.  When that panel dried, I cut it into strips of varying sizes.  I also cut some red and white cardstock of varying sizes as well.  I love the look of red and light blue, I find it a very pleasing combination.  (ETA:  I didn't realize that Anne Marie had used the same color combo on her DT card until I uploaded my card to the challenge.  I guess great minds think alike lol!)

Next I added an adhesive sheet to a panel of white cardstock, then began randomly layering the strips. When complete, I trimmed off the excess  around all the edges, with the panel ending up at 4" x 5.25" and adhered to the white A2 size card base.


The happy birthday sentiment was die cut three times and layered for dimension, adhered to the vellum circle, then added to the card applying liquid glue only behind the letters.  It was positioned lower on the card because I had the idea that I was going to tie the red die cut balloon to one of the letters with some twine but the card just wasn't big enough for that (bad planning on my part lol!).  So I added the balloon to the card with foam tape, covered it with Glossy Accents and when dry, used silver thread to create a bow.  The final step was to add some silver baubles.


So glad you took time to visit, I appreciate it.  Take care and enjoy the rest of your week!

Stef


Stamps: None
Paper:  Neenah Solar White, Lipstick Red (Simon Says Stamp), Pearlescent Vellum (Lawn Fawn), Arches 140lb Cold Press watercolor 
Ink:  Karin Markers
Other:  Happy Birthday Thinlits die (ret. SU), Bear Ware balloon die (Ellen Hutson), Nested Infinity Circle die (Hero Arts), silver thread, Crystal Collection Night Sky silver baubles (Lucy's Cards)

7 comments:

Nora Noll said...

Wow!! You painted this? It looks GORGEOUS!!! I love your stripes and the addition of the balloon. Such a fabulous card!

Kristie Goulet said...

I love your stripes and the vellum behind the sentiment die! Great card! Thanks so much for joining us at Color Hues!

Debbie Crowley said...

Stef, the background colors and texture you created is amazing. Thank you for joining us at the Paper Players this week.

LeAnne said...

I love this color combo too and am quite impressed (as I always am when you make a card) at the way you created your own ombre paper! Awesome with that big bold sentiment and the balloon, too! Thanks for playing with the Players this week!

Anne Marie Hile said...

Stef, as always, your coloring just knocks my socks off! Love all of the fabulous detail in your background along with that big, bold sentiment. This puts the HAPPY in happy birthday. Thanks so much for joining us this week over at The Paper Players!

Nancy said...

Stef, This is such a fun card! I just love that you colored your strips by hand! They look awesome and I love the variety of blue tones! Always a pleasure to see you at Color Hues and The Paper Players. Take care!

Lindsey said...

Not only did you create your own striped paper, you also created your own blues to make it? Bravo! I'm glad you let the background shine, with the vellum-backed sentiment and festive balloon. Thanks for joining us at Color Hues!