Thursday, February 1, 2024

Flat Shaker Valentine for Color Hues

Hello friends!  I'm here with my card for the new challenge at Color Hues!  This time the lovely Sheri has chosen red and pink, so perfect for those making Valentine cards, but would certainly work for many other occasions.

And how about our new badge? I think it's a wonderful way to reflect what the challenge is all about.  Also we have the talented Bobby Hagen joining us as guest designer!

I'm also joining my friends over at Just Us Girls, because their colors for this week's color challenge are also red and pink.


This time I tried something new - making a flat shaker!  It's not edge to edge but it still has lots of sparkly goodness when you shake, shake, shake it!


I started with the stencil, using a light pink ink on white cardstock, then applying the same ink to blend around the edges, darker on the outside and lighter in the middle.  I cut some old packaging to size, put Score Tape on the back of the stenciled panel, wrapped the acetate around three sides, waiting to seal the fourth side until after adding the clear sequins.


Next I put double sided adhesive on the back of a panel of Rich Red Matte cardstock, then die cut the sentiment.  This alleviated the problem with glue smearing on either the acetate or the metallic paper when adhering to the front of the shaker.  It was then layered on a slightly larger panel of the red metallic cardstock, adhered to the white card front, with the final touch of adding the red sparkly heart.  This was so easy to do and it's a great way to use up my sequin stash, which isn't large, but I don't use them as on my cards very often anymore.


I look forward to seeing what you make with this color combo!  Be sure to take a look at the beautiful cards created by our guest designer and the other DT members and hopefully are inspired to join us.  The challenge will remain open until 9 am 2/14.

Take care!

Stef


  • Simon Says Stamp Hugs & Kisses die, Hero Arts Nested Rectangles
  • SSS Heart Blooms stencil
  • SSS Bubblegum ink
  • SSS Rich Red Matte metallic cardstock
  • SSS Rainbow Splash Sparkly Hearts, Pretty Pink Posh Sparkling Clear sequins

14 comments:

Carol said...

Stef, all the sparkle and shine and the pretty red and pink...such a fun, cheerful card! Love it!

Lisa Elton said...

Your shaker is extra cute, Stef! Love the stenciled background!

Julie B said...

As you say a great way to use up those sequins we all have and haven't used for years! Your stencilled background is a great backdrop to your sparkles too. :)

Nancy said...

What a wonderful shaker, Stef! Putting the sentiment on the outside is a great idea! I love that you still have white around the edge of the card, and putting the greeting on the outside was smart! Wonderful Valentine or as you said, any occasion.

Marcia Hill said...

LOVE this Stef! Flat shaker cards are so fun and so easy to make, and this one is FABULOUS! Your stenciled background is perfect for Valentine's Day, but could also work for lots of other celebrations too! You have definitely made the challenge colors SHINE my friend...sweet, sweet card! Hugs. :0)

Vicki Dutcher said...

Super fun shaker! The buts are perfect with the colors Thanks for joining in at JUGS

Cindy Beach said...

I love shakers, and you've made such a fabulous one! Who wouldn't have fun shaking up this LOVEly valentine! The bold sentiment and sparkling sequins make it so special and super cute!

Ina G said...

Love love love your flat oh so pretty shaker card Stef. Glad you shared it with us at JUGS.

ElizStewart said...

Stef...what a great shaker! Very slick. I think I did a hugs and kisses sentiment as well...who doesn't love hugs and kisses!

cm said...

Stef, I'm swooning over your flat shaker! So pretty and yes, a great way to use up the stash of sequins many of us have! Love your card...
hugs~carol

Tracey McNeely said...

I have not tried out making a flat shaker yet, but seeing your lovely card makes me want to try! So pretty Stef, you always surprise me with your cards!! Lovely!

Bobby said...

Flat shakers are the way to go, Stef, and yours looks fantastic with the stenciling in the background and that wonderful metallic sentiment.

JulieP said...

So much shine and sparkle to admire! I love flat shakers as you get the best of both worlds. Very pretty.

Carol L said...

Thanks for the details on how to make a flat shaker card. I never tried making one yet, and I love your idea for die-cutting the sentiment with adhesive on the back - that's such a clever idea that I never thought of doing. Your card turned out so pretty and I love the stenciled background with all the sparkly shakers!