Friday, February 16, 2024

Cosmos Birthday for Color Hues

Hello friends!  It's time for a new challenge at Color Hues and this time I am hosting.  I chose a color combo that I don't normally use but thought it would be lovely as we are heading towards spring, or at least away from the worst part of winter (fingers crossed!).

As a reminder, use the hues of color you have on hand that are closest to the challenge colors and have fun creating!

I'm also playing along with the Anything Goes part of the current challenge at Seize the Birthday.


For my card, my "mint" green appears a bit more green in the photos but the ink I used were definitely on the "minty" side. Oh well, what can you do? (maybe breakdown and get a new camera lol!)


I decided to dust off my Betterpress and use it with a relatively new-to-me press plate and matching stencil set.  It was pressed in black ink on watercolor paper, then I used three colors of lilac and mint green inks to create some shading and variation of colors.  Then I took the lightest mint green and gently added it to the panel with a blending brush, while avoiding the flowers, to soften the bright white background.  

For the flower center I initially used a light touch of gray ink but I came back later to change things up but adding Distress Sparkle Texture Paste, which dries clear but made the centers look almost like they were covered with silver glitter.


While the sparkle paste dried, I die cut the sentiment from matte silver and also more from black cardstock for layering.  I debated about adding vellum behind the sentiment but decided not to, so it gets a bit lost in the photos, but looks very prominent in person.  

When the panel dried, it was cut with a rounded rectangle die and layered on black cardstock.  My intent was to mount it as is to a black card base but decided to add the layer of light lavender cardstock and it looked so much better.  After adhering the sentiment, I finished up by adding some pretty Aurora Borealis sticker gems for even more sparkle.


I hope these colors inspire you to head to your craft room, but before you do be sure to visit the challenge blog and see all the gorgeous cards created by my amazingly talented teammates!  The challenge will remain open until 9 am EST February 28th.

Take care!

Stef

  • Spellbinders Cosmos Backdrop Betterpress Plate and Stencil
  • Poppystamps Happy Birthday Poe Script die
  • Hero Arts Rounded Rectangle die
  • Distress Watercolor, Hero Arts Pitch Black and Simon Says Stamp Lavender cardstocks
  • Simon Says Stamp Lilac, Orchid, Amethyst, Spring, Dublin and Lucky ink pads
  • Distress Sparkle Testure Paste
  • Honeybee Stamps Aurora Borealis Gem Stickers

16 comments:

Tracey McNeely said...

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous Stef! The Cosmos are so pretty in these colours. I put Cosmos into my planter this past year and it was the first time I had ever seen them before at the garden centre. They went absolutely bananas, so pretty!!

Karen said...

This is just stunning, Stef! The Cosmos are so beautiful, and I love the layering you did behind the Betterpress design. I wonder if I have some Distress Sparkle Texture paste in my stash--it looks great on your card!

Lisa Elton said...

I just bought this plate, Stef and your pretty card has inspired me to give it a try in those colors! Love this!

Marcia Hill said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL card Stef and amazing colors for this challenge...I am so ready for Spring! (More snow in tomorrow's forecast and COLD!!) I love the press plate you used and in fact just ordered it yesterday from SSS since they finally got some in, however they didn't have the stencil and SB doesn't have either in stock, so I'm hoping at some point one of them will carry the stencil on its own! But anyway, your card is so pretty and I'm loving all the added sparkle too! Fabulous challenge and lovely, lovely card my friend!! Hugs. :0)

cm said...

Stef, your card is absolutely gorgeous! Love the colour combination; it's perfect for these flowers! No Betterpress in my collection *yet*, but I have days of temptation, especially when I see your creativity with it. Still too many other things to play with (like the numerous wax seal stamps I bought) before I head down that rabbit hole.
hugs~carol

Nancy said...

I love reading the steps and processes you take to make your gorgeous card. I always learn something new or you remind me to use something that I have not thought about in years, like my corner rounder. Awesome and stunning card and great colors for us. Have a great Saturday!

Linda said...

This is so stunning. I love the color palette. So pretty. Thanks for joining us at Seize the Birthday.

I Card Everyone said...

Stef your blending skills are showing up beautifully here - LOve [and want] that plate so badly! One day!
I have a card made for your challenge - it is the perfect duo for wishful Spring thinking! time to edit those photos!
=]

Julie B said...

I do love cosmos blooms and these look fab. The thin black matt really pops the flower panel out. :)

Bonnie said...

A great choice of colors, Stef! I am drooling over this awesome image and your coloring! The plate and stencil are on my wishlist.

Glenda J said...

Great to see you in the gallery again Stef! This is a lovely card - terrific colouring and the splatter is the perfect accent. Thanks for joining us at Seize the Birthday.

Nancy said...

I am so happy to see this gorgeous card in the Seize the Birthday gallery!

Vicky Hayes said...

Oh how pretty Stef and you're right about that colour combo reminding that spring is on its way - yes really! We're having a rare sighting of sunshine today but it's forecast to return to rain tomorrow - sigh. You have definitely inspired me to do a bit of crafting later this afternoon, thank you! Vicky x

Cindy Beach said...

I am amazed at this card, Stef, I love everything about it! I also love reading your details and learn something new so often! I haven'y done letterpress yet, but you've inspired me for sure! The colors and sparkle are fabulous!

JulieP said...

I love that you went with the bolder hues. This is just so striking!!! I wish they'd put that BetterPress on sale. LOL!!! Gorgeous card.

Kristin Sluhan said...

You've convinced me to get this press plate! This is truly gorgeous...love how you did the colors. Thanks also for visiting and commenting on my blog, I appreciate your time and sweetness! Hugs!