Friday, September 1, 2023

Something Wicked for Color Hues

Hello and welcome!  Another month rolls by and here we are at the beginning of September and a new challenge at Color Hues begins.  This month, the lovely Tracey has chosen the fabulous combination of Tangerine and Violet.


I'm also playing along with Inkspirational, where the theme is clothing/closet.


And finally, I'm joining the Anything Goes challenge over at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.

For me, these colors could only mean one thing - a Halloween card!  I used the now retired Colorado Craft Company Sitting Witch set from their Lovely Legs series.


I started with a sheet of Tim Holtz Distress Black Heavystock, which has a matte, almost velvety texture to it.  I used it because it is the blackest of black papers.  I used the stamps to figure out my layout, white heat embossed the sentiment, then trimmed down the panel.  The witch was stamped on white, colored with my Copic markers then die cut with the matching die.  However, the die shifted (or more likely it was user error lol!), so I ended up fussy cutting it.  When it came to the spider, which is part of the stamp, I cut as close as I could, covered the stamped portion with white gel pen, then used a black sharpie to color the negative space so there wasn't a white outline.  That was touch and go but phew, it worked out!  When that was done, she was adhered directly to the black panel, then I used a gold gel pen for the buckles on her shoes and belt, then added some sparkle to her shoes, belt and gloves with a shimmer pen.


Next, I created an ink blended layer using Wilted Violet and Black Soot Distress Inks.  I'm disappointed that in the photo it came out looking more blue than violet, but I retook the photo a couple times using different lighting and it turns out to be my camera. Sigh.  So the panel was ink blended, the ends trimmed down using MFT's Torn Paper Edges border dies, then everything was added to a black card base.  Almost impossible to see in the photos, but I did add a few obsidian rhinestones for sparkle - IRL it looks fabulous!


Okay, your turn!  What will you make with this color combination?  Before you decide, pop over to the challenge blog where my talented teammates have made a variety of card styles with these colors for your inspiration.

Thanks for stopping by - take care!

Stef


Stamps:  Colorado Craft Company Lovely Legs:  Sitting Witch
Paper:  Neenah Solar White, Hero Arts Pitch Black, Tim Holtz Distress Black Heavystock
Ink:  Versamark, Memento Tuxedo Black, Wilted Violet and Black Soot Distress
Dies:  CCC Sitting Witch, MFT Torn Paper Edges
Other: SSS Fine Detail White ep, Altenew Gold Gel pen, Sakura White Gelly Roll pen, Black Sharpie, Tonic Nuvo Aqua Shimmer pen, Honey Bee Obsidian Rhinestones
Copics:  V09, 06, 04, 01, YR09, 16, Y38, 17, E04, 11, 21,00

11 comments:

Karren said...

Wow,Stef! This is fabulous! Your colouring and fussy-cutting are incredible and this fun image really pops against the black.

Lisa Elton said...

What a FUN take on both challenges, Stef! This is terrific!

Karen said...

Oh my goodness! I just love this card---everything about it! The witch just shimmers. Once again you may be sending me off to a shopping cart. I have four granddaughters and they, like me, would LOVE this card!

Marcia Hill said...

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! I am head over heels in LOVE with this card Stef! First off, your coloring is FABULOUS!! I love the image and her sitting on the embossed sentiment is just so cool! And your purple looks purple to me and not blue, so it's all good! AMAZING card my friend!! Hugs. :0)

Julie B said...

Love this, the 'witch' and white embossed sentiment pop against the black background. Great colouring and fussy cutting, I can never get my dies to cut out stamped images, no matter how hard I try so good job I like fussy cutting! :)

Nancy said...

WOWZA! I really don't know how to convey how fabulous this is! I guess you just need to read all these wonderful comments over again. Thanks for making our challenge!

Tracey McNeely said...

Stef this is beyond cute and your colouring is amazing! Cameras can be tricky with lighting, but I see violet.This must have been a labor of love!

JulieP said...

Holy Moly Stef!!! Your coloring is AMAZING! And I love, love, love that rich black background.

Julia Aston said...

Wow - wonderful cutting, coloring and positioning here Stef! thanks for sharing with us at Inkspirational: clothing! Julia xx

Cindy Beach said...

I hate to be repetitive but WOWZA! What am amazing card! Your coloring is masterful and seeing it on the black card stock - it's fabulous! You rocked it!

cm said...

Stef, I'm blown away by your spectacular Halloween card! Perfect colouring on your sitting witch and your fussy cutting is amazing. LOVE this card! I need to check out the black cardstock you used; the 'velvety' texture sounds intriguing.
hugs~carol