Friday, September 15, 2023

Hugs for Color Hues and a Blog Hop

Hello friends and welcome!  Today, we have a very special Challenge here at Color Hues that we are bringing a day earlier than our normal schedule!  

In conjunction with our normal Color Challenge, The Color Hues Design Team and a few guests, from our sister challenge Seize the Birthday, are participating in a Blog Hop! 

Collectively as a team, we are hopping in memory of our dear friend, fellow cardmaker, and Design Team member, Lindsey Martin-Penny, who sadly passed away last year from a rare and aggressive form of Ovarian Cancer. 


The purpose of this hop will be to honor Lindsey, celebrate her life and all that she loved, as well as spread the word to raise funds for Clear Cell Ovarian Cancer Research.  


How can you Help? You can find all the fabulous details and the start of the hop at Emily's Blog HERE!


In honor of Lindsey, the team has created a variety of cards using her favorite color combo of Purple and Red.


Color Hues


For my card, I wanted to do something different that would made the red and purple colors that Lindsey loved stand out.  I didn't have the privilege of knowing Lindsey, but my teammates and others that knew her make me think she would have been my kind of person; a smart, funny, loving and kind human.



While my favorite flowers are peonies, coneflowers and sunflowers run a close second, so decided to use my new Brilliant Coneflower embossing folder from Simon Says Stamp.  I started by embossing an A2 panel of Stonehenge black watercolor paper.  Next, I dusted off my Altenew Metallic watercolors and painted the flower petals in Amethyst and Garnet.  For the stems I used a dark red called Rhodolite, which I chose because it almost looks like a reddish brown.  For the cones, I used the side of my paintbrush to try to add the Gold Pearl just on the embossed portion so the black could show through.  When that was done I lightly splattered the panel with the same gold paint.



After the paint dried, the panel was trimmed down to 4" x 5.25" then adhered to a black card base.  The sentiment was die cut from SSS Matte Gold cardstock with the SSS Big Scripty Hugs die and adhered to the front.  At this point I toyed with the idea of adding an embellishment but decided the splatter was sufficient.



We would love to have you join us in honoring Lindsey!  The challenge will remain open until 9 am September 28th.  Please take a moment to pop over to the challenge blog, where my incredibly talented teammates and our wonderful guests, Barb and Glenda, have created some stunning inspiration with this color combination.  

Also, more details about the blog hop and a link to the next stop can be found there.

Thanks for taking time to stop by and if you have a chance, I'd love to have you drop back by in an hour when my reminder post for The Flower Challenge goes live!

Take care!

Stef


11 comments:

Julie B said...

Love these coneflowers, one of my faves too, against the black with just a hint of shine from the paint you used. :)

Nancy said...

Stef, I think this card along with your photos is just terrific. The Cone Flowers just grab your attention right away. Thanks for making this color combo so appealing.

Emily Leiphart said...

Stef, your painted flowers are stunning and your card looks like a mini canvas! Thank you for participating in this special tribute to our dear friend Lindsey! 💜❤️

Lisa Elton said...

What a beautiful card! I love the black background you gave those fabulous Coneflowers!

Karen said...

Stef, these coneflowers are absolutely stunning! I've yet to try painting after embossing, but your card is truly inspirational! The metallics on black just shine.

Marcia Hill said...

Coneflowers are one of my top favorites too Stef and your card is absolutely STUNNING!! I love the combination of the red, purple & gold shimmer from your paints...so striking against the black background! Beautiful, beautiful card my friend!! Hugs. :0)

cm said...

WOW! Your purple and red coneflowers are absolutely stunning, Stef! The black background really accentuates the colourful flowers. In awe! Yes, you would have loved Lindsey, for the very reasons you mentioned: her intelligence, her with, her sense of humour, her kindness, her creativity. We lost a treasure when she passed, for sure.
hugs~carol

Cindy Beach said...

WOW, Stef, you've created a masterpiece! Or should I say 'another' one!
I'm loving your black background and the flowers are gorgeous! The metallic paints and gold additions make this so elegant. Love it!

JulieP said...

Holy Guacamole!!! This is absolutely STUNNING!

Glenda J said...

Oh my gosh - this is absolutely stunning! Love everything about it. I know Lindsey would have loved it.

Tracey McNeely said...

Stef you have made such a gorgeous card! I always know when I come to your blog that I am going to be amazed at your talents to do something new! Lindsey would have loved this!!