Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Peony Birthday for The Flower Challenge

Hello and welcome!  It's time for our mid-month reminder post at The Flower Challenge.  This month the challenge is to use the color blue and yellow to honor and support the people of Ukraine.  You have until the 25th of the month, so I certainly hope you'll join us!


I'm also playing along with the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge, where the current theme is "Add a Sentiment" and with Seize the Birthday, with a "topping" challenge to use our favorite technique.  I have many techniques that I love to use, but I guess my favorite is coloring with Copic markers and especially combining it with my newest fav, foiling!



While making this card I fell totally in love with Cobalt blue foiling!  Oh, be still my heart!


The beautiful Peony Prints was foiled in Cobalt blue on white, then the flowers were colored using Copic markers.  The print nearly fills an A2 panel but I decided to trim it down to 2 3/4" x 4".  Next I foiled a panel of white cardstock with a sheet of the Cobalt foil to use as the matte for the main image and it was trimmed down to 3 1/4" x 4 1/2".  From those remains, I was able to create a strip upon which to place the sentiment, also foiled in the blue.

BTW, the color variation in the foiled matte is the result of the natural lighting I used to photograph the card; it really is all one color.


Next, the Geo Tiles image was hot foiled in Cobalt, then die cut.  What I learned from that is next time I will die cut the Geo Tiles then foil it, as it was a trick to get the die lined up with the foiled design.  The frame was adhered to the white cardstock, then the remaining layers were added with foam tape.  As a final little touch of bling, I added some pretty glossy dots.


Thanks so much for taking time to stop by, I appreciate it!  Be sure to use the link above to see the amazing cards by the other DT members and hopefully have time to join us this month!

Take care!

Stef


Paper:  Hammermill, Neenah Solar White
Other:  Peony Prints Hot Foil Plate (Pinkfresh Studio), Yana's Sentiments Hot Foil Plate and die (Spellbinders), Geo Tiles Hot Foil Plate and die (PS), Nested Infinity Rectangle die (Hero Arts), Silver Glossy Dots (Pink & Main)

5 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

Stef, thanks for the tips and tricks for smarter foiling! I just love the Peony Prints foiled in this gorgeous arctic blue! Who says we can't Copic color foiled images?
=]

Lisa Elton said...

Wow, Stef this is a striking card! Love the shimmery cobalt blue and those fabulous yellow Peonies!

Nancy said...

This card certainly is a stand out in the gallery at Seize the Birthday. You are such a good colorist and I love the added foil. I still am holding out on trying my hand at foiling but this card is not helping! :) Thanks for joining us at Seize the Birthday! Hugs!

TaeEun said...

What a great design, Stef! I love that you trimmed the Peony Print down to make it into an eye-catching focal panel! The cobalt blue is a beautiful foil color!

Bobby said...

I can see you loved that blue foil, Stef. And you put it to good use. I love it with the yellow flowers and the background is fabulous. It was also a great idea to make a matching border for the panel.