Thursday, March 4, 2021

So She Did

Hi there, friends!  I hope you're doing well, still staying safe and healthy!  Today I'm sharing a card made for the current Paper Players challenge, where the lovely Ann has given us a fun sketch to play with.  I'm also joining Addicted to Stamps where the challenge is to use dies and/or stencils.



For my card, I used a new stamp and die set from a new-to-me company called Studio Light.  There's a whole series of these Missees sets (I found mine at Simon Says Stamp) and I had a blast putting together this card and others still in the works.  


Isn't she fabulous? All the details to create this image were die cut from various pieces of cardstock then adhered together.  The only coloring I did was her tongue and I used a bit of white gel pen for the highlight in her eye, on her teeth and to create the polka dots on her dress neckline. The hardest part was deciding which accessories to use and picking out the papers.  I first saw these sets used on the Prairie Paper and Ink blog of Amy Rysavy here.  Then, in addition to making cards for female family members, I came upon a wonderful reason to make a number of them (more on that below).


The card size is 5 x 7" due to the size of the image.  I stenciled gold stars on the upper part of a panel of Ivory, matted it onto a black cardstock panel, the added the die cut image.  The sentiment was stamped on Ivory as well, then I used gold metallic paint around the edges so it would stand out against the background.  Foam tape was used to adhere the panel to the card base and also add the sentiment to the front to finish things off.


I hope you enjoyed my fun take on Ann's sketch!  

After I received my purchase of some of the Missees stamp and die sets, I visited Jaydee's Paper Players blog post here to admire her card, and then read about a wonderful card drive for foster kids at Bearly Art.  A light bulb went on in my head and I found a reason to create a number of cards, which I will share with you in future posts once I get them all assembled.   

Here's some information from the Bearly Art website about foster children:

The Adoption and Foster Care Analysis and Reporting System (part of the US Dept of Health and Human Services) reports that over 430,000 children are currently in foster care, with 125,000+ waiting to be adopted.  The top 4 reasons for children entering foster care is neglect, drug abuse (parent), caretakers inability to cope, or physical abuse.  The average age of a child in foster care is 8 years old. 

Sending a card to one of these children could let them know they are valued and not forgotten.  I already had in my stash many cards age appropriate for younger children, so the cards with the Missees images will be for older girls.

Sorry for the long post but this topic really touched my heart as it has with many others and I wanted to share it with you in the hopes you would check out the drive.

Thank for visiting, as always I appreciate it so much!  Take care and have a great weekend!

Stef


Stamps:  Misseess Betty, Carol, Tasha, and Melanie (Studio Light and Karin Joan)
Paper:  Ivory, Black, Chestnut (Heros Hues), Desert Storm, Sorbet and Grapfruit (Concord & 9th), Gold Mirror (Tonic)
Ink:  Versafine Claire Nocturne, Delicata Golden Glitz, 
Other:  Missees coordinating dies, Elegant Rectangle die (MFT), Scattered Stars Stencil (SSS), Gansai Tambi Starry Colours metallic paint, Sakura White Gelly Roll pen

4 comments:

Amanda Mertz said...

What a cool set of dies and stamps! I love that they've got accessories that you can personalize! The gold jewelry is great! Fantastic take on the sketch and wonderful reason to make more cards! Thanks for sharing at The Paper Players!

Ann Schach said...

What an amazing card, Stef! I LOVE all of the die cut details, especially her jewelry. After seeing your card, I had to check out the entire line of these stamps/dies. What fun!!! Thank you for playing at The Paper Players this week!

Lindsey said...

Wow, this is awesome! You worked magic with these die cuts. Thanks for joining us at Addicted to Stamps and More!

Susan Renshaw said...

Great sentiment!
Thank you for sharing with Addicted to Stamps and More!
Susan
Addicted to Stamps and More
Calling All Crafters! – My Blog!