Sunday, February 23, 2020

Celebrate You for The Paper Players!

Hello friends!  It's Sunday, which means there's a new challenge at The Paper Players!  This week the lovely LeAnne has brought us a wonderful sketch to use for our creative endeavors.  I think it's so versatile I could definitely see myself using this one again in the future.


I'm also joining the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge, where the theme is to add a sentiment.

This sketch worked perfectly for a frame die I acquired a while back but never used.  I decided to do an ombre background, with the lightest color at the top moving to the darker and more vibrant at the bottom.  I chose three shades of Distress Ink to use for this background - Shaded Lilac, Blueprint Sketch and Wilted Violet.  This is one of the Distress Oxide blending groups Kristina Werner shared on her blog last year but of course it works beautifully with regular Distress Inks as well.  Here is a link to the first of the seven DOX ink blending posts she completed from late January through March 2019, if you're interested.


I taped down a piece of watercolor paper to a hardboard then used my flat brush to apply water over the entire panel.  Then I used the same brush to pick up the inks one by one, starting with the lightest and moving to the darkest.  I did tip the panel up and down to get the colors to move and unfortunately most of the lightest color disappeared and what was 3 colors ended up looking more like four or five LOL!  However, I LOVE these shades and after the panel dried I sprayed it heavily with sheer shimmer spray and that baby sparkles like crazy IRL!  I think the photos show it a little bit.


While the panel was drying I used the frame die to cut four frames, three from white card and the fourth with white glitter paper, because I don't think there can ever be tooo much sparkle!  I glued the four layers together and adhered it to the dried panel.  I decided a sentiment white embossed on a black strip would work well with this card, so I pulled out my Tiny Words stamp set and found one that fit the space.  Lastly, the panel was mounted with foam tape on the white card base.


That's it for this week!  I do hope you'll use the link above and join us at The Paper Players for this week's challenge!

Thanks for visiting, I always appreciate it!  Have a great week!

Stef


Stamps:  Tiny Words (Simon Says Stamp)
Paper:  Neenah Solar White, Black, Arches Coldpress 140# watercolor, Glitter White (SSS)
Ink:  Versamark; Shaded Violet, Blueprint Sketch and Wilted Violet Distress Inks
Other:  Carnation Frame die (SSS), Tsukineko Sparkle Sheer Shimmer Spray, Alabaster White embossing powder (Brutus Monroe)

10 comments:

Darnell said...

This is spectacular, Stef! I love the way your ombre watercolor wash ended up in these soft purple-y colors, all shimmered up with the spray! The multi-layered bloom frame with white shimmer paper on top really pops against those colors!! Hugs, Darnell

LeAnne said...

This is gorgeous, I wish we could all see the sparkle! LOVE the frame and that gorgeous flower...it's all a wonderful work of art anyone would be honored to receive in the mail! Thanks for making my sketch look awesome!

Allisa said...

Your card is stunning. Your blended background is the perfect backdrop for your frame! Love the sparkle!

laurie said...

How pretty! I love the background and that silver!!

Witchcrafted Life said...

Ooohh, this is so glam, elegant and BEAUTIFUL!!! Just the hit of twinkly glitz that a sparkle adoring gal like me melts for instantly.

Autumn Zenith 🎃 Witchcrafted Life

Stamps-N-Lingers said...

You are a watercoloring ARTIST!! LOVE that background - and the sparkly die cut is so simple and perfect atop it. Wonderful card! :)

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

This card is so, so beautiful Stef! That ombre watercolour background alone is a masterpiece - I love how well the colours are blended, yet you can still see the distinct shades of blue. And the perfect way to showcase your sparkly diecut flower and frame - just gorgeous!!

Vicky Hayes said...

Just beautiful Stef. I think the simplicity of the frame and flower really sets of the ombré background beautifully and the blocky sentiment grounds it all nicely. Vicky x

Claire Broadwater said...

Stef, this background is so gorgeous! I love the color combo! Your frame and die cut flower are stunning! I love all the glimmer! You're right about the sentiment on the black. It pops! Have a wonderful weekend, My Friend! XX

Anne Marie Hile said...

Stef, that blended background is so beautiful and the colors are so serene. The framed flower is the perfect focal image to ensure those beautiful hues are beautifully showcased. I keep going back to look at it over and over. Absolutely gorgeous!