Monday, February 17, 2020

Cactus Love

Hello friends and welcome back!  It's time for a new Color Challenge at Splitcoaststampers!  Barbara is hosting this week and has chosen the lovely combo of Terracotta Tile, Coastal Cabana and Granny Apple Green, with a dessert option to use an embossing folder.  Unfortunately I had to skip dessert this week because it wouldn't work with my design.


I wanted to make an unconventional Valentine for my husband because we really don't celebrate this holiday in the traditional sense, but it's part of my dna as a card maker to make a card if there's an occasion!  And because my husband is a major green thumb and loves cactus and succulents, the Suzy's Watercolor Print worked perfectly along with this week's CC colors!


I used Copic markers in colors similar to the challenge colors along with four that are similar to Stampin' Up neutrals Merry Merlot, Mossy Meadow, Early Espresso and Crumb Cake.  I tried to mix up the colors of the plants, sometimes even laying down a blue green before coloring with the yellow greens, just to change things up.


I started by coloring the background in a light brown to avoid inadvertently touching one of the darker colors and pulling it into the background.  After everything was colored I used a white gel pen on some of the pots to create a design.  When all was complete, the panel was die cut with a stitched wonky rectangle die and the sentiment die cut with a circle die, added with foam squares and the entire panel added to the Coastal Cabana base with fun foam.  


Thanks so much for visiting, I really appreciate it!  I hope you'll join us for the Color Challenge this week!

Stef


Stamps:  Spoken Bird (sentiment, Hero Arts My Monthly Hero kit February 2018)
Paper:  Neenah Solar White, Coastal Cabana, Suzy's Succulents Watercolor Prints (Simon Says Stamp)
Ink:  Versafine Clair Nocturne
Other: Wonky Rectangle die (SSS), Infinity Circle die (Hero Arts)

Copics:  
Terracotta pots:  E19, 08, YR18, 15, 14, 21
Bluegreen pots:  BG13, 11, 10
Plants:  Granny Apple Green-YG67, 17, 23; Mossy Meadow-G46, 43, 40; Coastal Cabana-BG13, 11, 01, YG13
Flowers:  R89, 39, 37
Wood shelves:  E49, 47; Background: E41
Shading on "white":  T4, 2

1 comment:

Claire Broadwater said...

I can not begin to tell you how much I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this card. it is a work of art. I would frame it. The coloring is amazing and the color palette is gorgeous! I know your husband loved it!