Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Christmas Bird Poinsettia for Color Hues

Hello friends!  For the next two weeks at Color Hues we have a wonderful combo of red and green from Sheri.  This led me to create make a Christmas card because I love doing Christmas in July, but of course there are plenty of other options with these colors.


This was the perfect opportunity for me to break out the Christmas Bird Poinsettia die set that I'd bought on sale a while ago.


I began by die cutting multiples of everything from white cardstock, then used a variety of Copic and Olo markers to color the pieces.  I love to either use markers or ink blend my die cuts, I feel like I get much more dimension on the pieces.  I decided to use gold for the poinsettia center and also some of the sprigs.

A panel of bright green was embossed with a pine branch folder, then the poinsettia was popped up with foam tape in the center.  Each piece of the arrangement was then added.  These is a bird die cut with this set (hence the name of the set and my blog post) but I decided not to use it on this card.  I really love the candy canes, so I wanted them and the poinsettia to be the main points of interest.  The sentiment was die cut from dark red cardstock added below the arrangement, then the panel was trimmed down and adhered to a white card base.  The final step was to use an aqua shimmer pen to add sparkle to the poinsettia, some of the leaves and the red stripes of the candy canes.


So how do these colors inspire you?  We'd love to have your card in the gallery - the challenge remains open until 9 am EDT on Monday July 29th.  But before you run off to your crafty spot, be sure to stop by the challenge blog to catch all the wonderful inspiration by my talented teammates!

Thanks for visiting.  Take care!

Stef

  • Spellbinders Christmas Bird Poinsettia die set
  • Simon Says Stamp Holiday Words on a Line die
  • Honey Bee Stamps Snowy Pines ef
  • Tonic Aqua Shimmer pen
  • Copics - R39, 37, 35, YG67, 17, 03, C1
  • Olos - YG8.7, 8.5, 8.3, G1.8, 1.7

10 comments:

Tracey McNeely said...

Stef your poinsettia is the star of the show and the overall is so gorgeous. I love the vibrant shades of red and green and the candy canes set a perfect backdrop!!

Lisa Elton said...

What a gorgeous card, Stef! I love every fabulous detail!

Julie B said...

Love that bright green embossed background, it sets that fab poinsettia and foliage arrangement off perfectly. :)

Nancy said...

WOW! This is one of the prettiest Christmas cards ever, Stef! I have been looking at it for ten minutes! This is sure to inspire so many as it did me!

Marcia Hill said...

I'm loving all the candy canes from the DT for this challenge and yours look absolutely wonderful with your GORGEOUS Poinsettia and sprigs against that lovely green embossed background Stef! So much detail in this card and I'm loving all of it! Lovely, lovely card my friend!! Hugs. :0)

Karen said...

WOW! What a knockout of a Christmas card! So many elements and so beautifully arranged! It's a stunner!

Greta said...

Beautiful Christmas card! I've made an entry--just gotta get it posted.

Maria said...

Wow!! What a gorgeous Christmas card, so many beautiful layers!!

JulieP said...

The depth you achieve with Copics is amazing. I am truly in awe of this stunning card!

cm said...

Stef, this card is breath-taken-away gorgeous! The poinsettia is definitely the star of the stage - and talk about a great cast of supporting images with the foliage and candy canes. A knockout in every way!
hugs~carol