Sunday, October 18, 2020

Happy Birthday, Cupcake! for The Paper Players

Hello friends, and welcome back!  It's Sunday and that means it's time for a new challenge at The Paper Players.  The lovely Laurie is hosting our monthly CAS challenge with the theme of cupcakes.  Well, actually it can be pretty much any kind of cake or even cookies, just create something fun!


I'm also joining the current challenge at Seize the Birthday where the toppings option is scraps, and the current Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge with a theme to make a card and an envelope.



I started with the Big and Bold Cupcake from Colorado Craft Company.  This stamp is exactly as described, very big, so I decided to make a slimline style card with the cupcake hanging off the right hand side.  Here's a link to another card I recently made using the full stamp on a 6x5" card.   


The cupcake was stamped three times - once on white card, once on a large scrap of patterned paper and once to decorate a slimeline envelope.  The cupcake on white card was colored with Copic markers, looking like my favorite chocolate cake with chocolate butter cream frosting and that yummy looking strawberry on top.  Once that was complete, it was fussy cut, as was the cupcake wrapper on the yellow polka dot paper and adhered together.


Next a die cut panel of white card was lightly stenciled with stripes in yellow, then adhered to the card base.  The stenciling came out very, very light in my photos - IRL it is more visible.  The cupcake was then added to the card with foam tape and the overhanging portion cut off.  The sentiment was die cut first from yellow card and layered on the brown shadow but I just didn't like it, so a second sentiment was die cut from white and adhered over the yellow, which actually worked out great to give it a bit of dimension.  The last steps were to paint the cupcake, strawberry and sentiment with a shimmer pen and add three small clear dew drops.  Pretty CAS for me, not many layers. and with some white space and fairly uncluttered.


Thanks so much for visiting, I really appreciate it!  I hope you're continuing to stay safe and healthy, and have a great week ahead!  

Be sure to check out the challenge linked above plus all the fabulous inspiration from the DT members linked below!

Stef



Stamps:  Friend Cupcake (CCC)
Paper:  Neenah Solar White, Early Espresso, SU Brights DSP paper stack (retired) in Daffodil Delight
Ink:  Gina K Obsidian Amalgam, Squeezed Lemonade Distress Oxide
Other:  Happy Birthday Brush Script die (Simon Says Stamp), Slimline Nexted Rectangles die (SSS), Slimline Stripes Stencil (Trinity Stamps), Small Clear Dew Drops (Honey Bee), Tonic Nuvo Aqua Shimmer pen

9 comments:

LeAnne said...

You have the most amazing stamps....I just love this big cupcake, especially with the polka-dot paper! Delicious!

Claire Broadwater said...

OH, I love this long, skinny card. Your cupcake looks delicious! I adore polka dots, so the paper liner is perfect! This card will make someone smile!

Ashwini Rao said...

I don't know which one to praise more - your wonderful slimline card, or that yummy cupcake - both are just awesome!! I did especially love your card design and that polka dotted pp in your cupcake. Thank you so much for joining us with this delicious card at the Seize the Birthday challenge!

Cindy Beach said...

Oh my goodness, how cute it this! I love the slim card design and your colors make your cupcake look sweet and a bit rustic at the same time! With a strawberry on top. Love it!

laurie said...

LOVE this! Awesome cupcake...looks so real!! Yum!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

This is just fabulous Stef - that cupcake is huge but great for a colouring pro like you. So realistic - definitely good enough to it!!

Stamps-N-Lingers said...

Oh my gosh! This is the tastiest-looking cupcake I've ever seen on a card! Between the multiple fussy cut layers (you go, girl!) and the perfect coloring of the cupcake and frosting...I'm off to find some chocolate! Love it! :)

Ann Schach said...

Absolutely fabulous, Stef! Your coloring is amazing!!! This has to be the neatest cupcake image I have ever seen....And this is definitely THE BEST CUPCAKE CARD EVER!!!

Allisa said...

Such a stunning card! I so love everything about your cupcake. The paper pieced wrapper is perfect.