Sunday, October 18, 2020

Non-Traditional Thanksgiving

Hello, friends and welcome back!  I'm here to share a new card I've made for two challenges - Color Hues and Freshly Made Sketches.




I haven't made time to play in challenges very much the last few months and decided I would try to do so more often, when time allows.  Both the Color Hues colors (love complementary colors!) and Linda's fabulous sketch for FMS were great inspiration for my non-traditional Thanksgiving card.  Bonus is that these colors are the same as my BIL's favorite college football team, so he should love receiving this!



Starting with a panel of mixed media paper, I used a leaf stencil and Altenew orange dye inks to create the background panel.  Next the maple leaf was die cut from white card and colored with a variety of orange Copic markers to achieve some shading detail.  After both were complete I realized the background was too busy behind the maple leaf, so a panel of vellum was trimmed down and layered on top of the stenciled panel, nicely muting it and letting the big leaf be the star of the card.  I made the vellum longer than the panel and scored it so it could be folded over at the top and adhered on the backside of the panel.  Then, after the leaf and sentiment were added to the vellum layer, I lifted the vellum and added glue directly under the leaf and sentiment to more securely adhere it to the panel.


The sentiment was stamped on a strip of Ivory card in brown pigment ink and die cut with a label die. To assemble the card, I started with an Ivory card base, then layered on a scrap of long retired textured Pacific Point card.  The main image was added with some foam tape, adding a bit under the overhanging ends of the sentiment as well.  Finally, a couple of enamel dots were adhered and the leaf painted with a shimmer pen for a nice bit of sparkle.  I was tempted to add some gold elements but I'm not sure if that considered a neutral for the color challenge, so I restrained myself LOL!


Thanks so much for visiting, I really appreciate it!  I hope you're continuing to stay safe and healthy, and have a wonderful week ahead!

Stef


Stamps:  Thanksgiving Scene (sentiment, Pretty Pink Posh)
Paper:  Neenah Solar White, Ivory (Simon Says Stamp), Pacific Point (Stampin' Up), Mixed Media (Vicky Boutin), vellum
Ink:  Versafine Claire Pinecone, Firebrick, Autumn Blaze and Orange Cream (Altenew)
Other:  Large Stitched Maple die (SSS), Sentiments Labels die (SSS), Floating Leaves Stencil (SSS), Warm and Cozy Enamel dots (Altenew), Tonic Nuvo Aqua Shimmer pen
Copics:  YR18, 07, 16, Y17

6 comments:

Linda Callahan said...

Your fall leaf is gorgeous - perfectly colored! And I love the stenciled background! Lovely card for fall! Glad you shared it at FMS!

Karen said...

This is a great design! I love the stenciled background, and the vellum definitely soften the panel. The bright orange leaf is a wonderful focal point, and the Pacific blue you chose as a backdrop is lovely. Thanks for joining us at the Color Hues challenge.

Amy O said...

I love that gorgeous leaf and your pretty stenciled background. Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches this week!

Cindy Beach said...

Hi Stef,
I love the shades of blue and orange you used, they look terrific with the cream. Your leaves are beautifully inked and the vellum tops of your design perfectly! So glad you are playing with us at Color Hues! We love having you!

Jen Timko said...

Oh my word, how beautiful! That leaf is so perfectly set by your pretty colors. So glad you joined us this week at FMS!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Love that gorgeous leaf and stencilled background - really effective. The blue is a nice contrast too.