Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Potentially Cursed for Color Hues

Hello friends!  It's time for a new challenge at Color Hues and this time the lovely Sheri chose this wonderful combination of colors.

I was quite tempted to create a floral with this duo of colors, but my love of Halloween took me in a "hauntingly" different direction, bwwwhhhaaa!



I had so much fun making this card.  Spellbinders recently came out with the new Color Block Rectangle dies, which I had to have after loving the arched version that came out earlier this year.  Anyway, while I was shopping, I found this cute Halloween cat and she had to come home to me along with the rectangle dies.

I knew the basic layout I wanted but messed around with the background and finally decided to use a panel of C&9 Avacado cardstock and darken it by ink blending SSS Artichoke ink and Black Soot Distress ink over the entire thing, keeping it lighter in the middle.

The cat was easy to assemble, although the eyes were a bit tricky.  If you don't get them placed correctly, the eyes can appear crossed or wandering in opposite directions lol! Before adding our witchy cat to the panel, I stamped it with a spider web from another set.  Once I had her in place, the two die cut bats were added, along with the sentiment, which makes me giggle every time I see it!  To me the sentiment looks a bit crooked, but I checked it three times with my T-square ruler and the word are straight.  I may still fiddle around with it.

After assembling the card, I decided to add one last thing.  Using my white gel pen, I gave her some magic sparkles around her head.  


What are you inspired to create with these colors?  For more ideas, please head over to the challenge blog where my amazing teammates and our wonderful guest designer Amanda have some fabulous cards to inspire you.  The challenge will remain open until Tuesday, September 29th at 9 am EDT.  I hope you'll join us!

Stef


  • Spellbinders/Simon Hurley Bewitched die set
  • Spellbinders Trick or Snark Aug26 Clear Stamp and Die OTM
  • Spellbinders Color Block Rectangle dies
  • Stampers Anonymous/Tim Holtz Stamp and Stencil Halloween Collection (spider web)
  • Sixxix/Tim Holtz Big Frights dies (bats)

10 comments:

I Card Everyone said...

This little sweetie is just TOO CUTE to spook, Stef! Fantastic use of those colors - I got pretty excited about getting to use green!! lol
=]

Lisa Elton said...

So cute! She's just faBOOlous!

Marcia Hill said...

Too CUTE Stef and so much to love about this card! Love the witchy green background with the cool spider web, and that kitty is just too cool! Love the sentiment too and also the color blocked framing around the card! You nailed this color pairing my friend!! Hugs. :0)

Julie B said...

Definitely a cute kitten Stef and the addition of the white detail really lifts the design. I'm not a fan of Halloweeen but I do love that spiders web stamp but that's perhaps because I have just been evicting some this morning!! They appear over night here at this time of year. :)

Christy Lynn said...

Absolutely adorable, Stef! I had pulled a floral stamp set yesterday to use with these colors but now I'm thinking about raiding my Halloween stamp stash instead :) Your kitty is SO cute and neither cross-eyed nor wandering-eyed.

JulieP said...

Such a cute scary kitty and you NAILED the spooky background. Why didn't I think of Halloween??????

Bonnie said...

This is the spookiest, cutest kitty ever, Stef! I love her magic and her purple witches hat! You did a fantastic job with her eyes and with the whole card!

Nancy said...

One of my favorite Halloween cards that I have ever made is one using this cat. Your card tops mine hands down. I ADORE this so much, Stef! Well done!

cm said...

So thrilled to see that you also went in a Halloween direction with this combination and WOW! You've created an absolutely spooktacular scene with your witchy cat, the webbed, grungy, batted artichoke background and the super cool framing. Fabulous in every way! Love this!
hugs~carol

Karen said...

This is a fantastic Halloween card! You sent me off for the Blocked Arch die, and now I'm wanting the rectangular one as well. Your inked background is perfection even before the addition of the web and the bats! I can see why that adorable cat hopped into your cart! Cute is exactly the right adjective.