Sunday, June 30, 2013

Wetland Birthday

I'm back once again with a new card to share with you.  It was made for a friend's birthday coming up this week on July 4th.  I'm certain in his lifetime he's had plenty of patriotic colored birthday cards, so I decided to use a different color combination.  The card actually is blue and gray with white and black as neutrals and is being entered into three challenges:  The sketch challenge at Fab Friday, the ever so fun Tic Toe Challenge at Paper Players (where I'm going straight across the top with Birds, Blue and Birthday), and this week's color challenge at Dynamic Duos with Gray and your choice of color, which in this case is Baja Breeze.


I've used the small birds from the Wetlands stamp set, stamped on Whisper White in Basic Gray and Versamark, heat embossed with Clear embossing powder and then sponged with Baja Breeze and Basic Gray.  It reminds me of being at the Oregon coast in winter, which is notoriously cloudy gray and rainy, and is fitting for the Least Sandpiper, which this stamp resembles very much, and that spends time at the coast during winter.


I took some liberties with the sketch but hopefully it's still true enough to the original!



The links to the challenges are below.  There's plenty of time to join in - check it out!








Thanks so much for taking a look.  I hope you have a moment to leave a comment, I'd love to from you!  Have a great week ahead!

Hugs,

Stef

All products from Stampin' Up:
Stamps:  Wetlands, Sanded
Paper:  Baja Breeze, Basic Gray, Basic Black, Whisper White
Ink:  Basic Gray, Baja Breeze, Jet Black Stazon, Versamark
Accessories:  Stripes embossing folder, 1 3/8" Circle and Designer Label punches, Top Note BigZ die, Clear embossing powder, Hemp Twine


7 comments:

LeAnne said...

How striking! I am sure your birthday guy will enjoy NOT getting a patriotic card, especially one as nice as this! Thanks for playing with my TTT challenge this week!

Janet's Joy said...

Your card really has that seaside feel to it!
Thanks for playing along at Dynamics Duos!

Ann Schach said...

Wow! I love the shading on this card, Stef! These beautiful colors give it a definite coastal feel. Thanks for playing with The Paper Players!

Jaydee said...

I love this set for a guy card and I know he will absolutely appreciate it. I love that you stamped with a monochromatic color scheme and the twine is the perfect finishing touch. So glad you joined the Paper Players this week
Jaydee

Amy O said...

What a pretty card! I love the colors and the sanded background is perfect with the focal image stamp. Thanks for joining us at Fab Friday!

Marla Reed said...

I just love those little sandpipers! They are perfect for a masculine birthday card. Great choice of colors and the sponging on the embossed cardstock is a fantastic finishing touch. Thanks for joining us at Fab Friday!

Amanda Mertz said...

Lovely card! I really like the sponging...you captured the "shore/beach" feel so well and the depth is wonderful! Thanks for sharing at Fab Friday!