Thursday, May 9, 2024

Magical Birthday for Seize the Birthday

Hello friends!  I'm very pleased to share my card as a Surprise Party Guest for Seize the Birthday!  The challenge is always to make a birthday card and optionally add "toppings" which this time is Beach Theme.

I had several options for this theme in my craft stash, but decided to use a heretofore unused stamp set illustrated by Anita Jeram for Colorado Craft Company, so I'm sharing over at the lovely Darnell's NBUS blog.

I'm diving deep into my Copic markers to make this wonderful stamp set come to life!


This stamp was such a treat to color but it is a bit overwhelming with all the different elements, so I think that's why I hadn't inked it up before.  I went to Pinterest for inspiration and ideas for how to color the mermaid's hair (not my strong suit lol!) and saw Amy Young's card here (if you love colorists, you definitely should follow her!) which also gave me the idea for the sparkles, plus I'd seen Kelly Taylor (another fabulous colorist you should follow!) do something similar here.


When the coloring of the scene was complete, I used a shimmer pen on the mermaid's fin (?), the stars and some shells, then added the sparkles with a white gel pen.  After using a square die to trim the panel down to 5.25" square, I thought it would look cool to continue the coloring on the outside of the stamped frame, then added sparkles all around there as well.  It was mounted on a 5.5" square card base and a sentiment from a different AJ/CCC stamp set was added in the top left corner.  

Then I created a panel for the interior using a stamp with the same flourishes as the frame, a shell and a starfish, and a sentiment from an old Lawn Fawn set that worked perfectly!


Thanks so much for stopping by.  Be sure to pop over to the challenge blog, the design team has some fabulous inspiration!

Take care!

Stef

  • Anita Jeram/CCC Mermaid & Whale stamp, Watch This sentiment stamp and die
  • Lawn Fawn Fairy Friends (interior sentiment)
  • Pink & Main Square die
  • Sakura White Gelly Roll and Black Glaze (walrus and whale eyes) pens
  • Tonic Nuvo Aqua Shimmer pen
  • Copic markers

13 comments:

Julia Aston said...

Goodness, what gorgeous coloring on this magical beach scene! Julia xx

Lisa Elton said...

I've never seen this set before but you, my friend, rocked it! This is oodles of fun!

Barbara said...

Wow! You really worked those Copic markers on this beautiful and colorful creation. I have not seen this Anita Jerham design before. What an magnificent card.

Darnell said...

This is brilliant in every way, Stef! I can tell you had a great time bringing this fun stamp to life! You are also an excellent colorist and I think everyone should follow you!! Thank you for inspiring everyone to use their NBUS! Hugs, Darnell

Nancy said...

WOW is right and worth repeating! You certainly outdid yourself with this beauty, Stef. Thanks for going the extra mile with our Topping and thanks for being with us.

Colleen said...

OMG this is amazing, you coloring is right up there with the two you mentioned!!
Thank you for such awesome inspiration for this challenge, you beach scene outstanding! So glad you are our special guest!

Cathy said...

Spectacular colouring Stef, you make me wish I had copics! I've stayed away from them as I would need to buy every colour!! This card is stunning, thankyou for guesting with us at STB, Cathy x

JulieP said...

You NAILED the coloring my dear. This is beyond fabulous!!! Thanks for guesting with us at Seize the Birthday!

Vicki Dutcher said...

Beautiful coloring! Fabulous beach scene Card

Linda said...

Wow, beautiful coloring on this awesome beach scene. Thanks for being our Surprise Party Guest for this challenge.

shirley-bee said...

Oh, wow! I love how you’ve really gone for it with the colouring to make this card really magical! Thanks for guesting with us at Seize The Birthday 🥳

JoAnn said...

I have to say "Wow" also. Your coloring is beautiful with all those different elements and her hair looks great.

Ashwini Rao said...

It's an awesome image, and your coloring has achieved some stunning effects! Her hair looks especially silky and shiny. Full marks!! :) Thank you so much for your efforts for this card for inspiring us at Seize the Birthday challenge!