Sunday, March 6, 2022

Thinking of Ukraine for Sunday Stamps

Hello and welcome!  It's time for a new challenge at Sunday Stamps, and this time Melissa has given us a wonderful sketch to work with.


I'm also joining the Color Hues challenge, where the amazing DT decided to make the new challenge #cardsforukraine using blue and yellow, the colors Ukraine's flag. This was a late addition to the originally planned Green and Gold challenge, so it is a special double challenge for those that want to do both.  I hope to join in with a green and gold card as well. 


I'm also sharing with the current Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge with a theme of adding a die cut.

For my card, I chose to use sunflowers for the circle elements in the sketch, because sunflowers are the national flower of Ukraine.  You'll also notice that I flubbed up and made my card a square rather than rectangle, but my sweet teammates said to use it anyway. 💛💛



I began by stamping and Copic coloring the sunflowers, then die cutting them and the stamped sentiment with their coordinating dies.  The white circle was die cut three times with the beautiful Folk Edge Circle die, adhered on top of one another, then the flowers and sentiment were added with foam squares of different sizes to get the variation in dimension.   Then I began working on the background.


I originally used Distress reinkers to watercolor a background panel, but didn't like how it turned out.  Next came ink blending, but again, it didn't work and just seemed out of proportion to the circle.  So then I had the idea to use a frame in yellow on blue cardstock and it was about that time I decided a square card would work better, forgetting that the sketch is a rectangle 😲.  The blue square was debossed with a cover die, then adhered to a 4.5" square white card base.  The thin frame was die cut and gently adhered to the base so it wouldn't lose it's shape.  Finally, the main image was added with thin foam squares to finish things off.


I'm so glad you took time to visit!  I hope you'll use the link above to check out all the fabulous cards by the other DT members and hopefully be inspired to join us.

Take care!

Stef


Stamps:  Big Thanks Autumn (Simon Says Stamp), Hibiscus Blooms (sentiment/SSS)
Paper:  Neenah Solar White, Daffodil Delight (SU), Island Blue (SSS)
Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black, Versafine Clair Nocturne
Othe:  Hibiscus Blooms and Big Thanks Autumn matching dies, Folk Edge Circle die (Pinkfresh Studio), Essential Squares dies (Ellen Hutson), Dotted Scales Debossing Cover die (Altenew)
Copics:  YR27, 24, Y19, 15, 11, E59, 57, 55

6 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

Square or rectangle, it doesn't matter, it's fabulous! Love your sunflowers!

Heather said...

So beautiful, Stef! I love the square, personally, and I love your brilliant bold colors here, too. That blue really pops, and sets off your gorgeous flowers perfectly! And I love all the piercing detail!

Karen said...

Bright, cheerful, and just gorgeous! Every element of your design works perfectly. So glad to see you in the Color Hues Gallery!

Lindsey said...

Gorgeous design for this card - and it was meant to be square, I think! Love all the details in this pretty card. Thanks for joining us at Color Hues!

cm said...

Crushing over your pretty sunflowers and oh, how perfectly they fit with the square design! Thank you for joining us at Color Hues!
~carol

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

Beautiful - I love the square design! Great subtle diecut detailing, and the blue really makes those sunflowers shine!