Sunday, April 23, 2017

Mothers and Flowers Paintable Prints

Hello again!  So glad you are here to see what I am sharing today.  I recently purchased from Simon Says Stamp the new set of Suzy's Mothers and Flowers Watercolor Paintable Prints, which are A2 sized pieces of Tim Holtz distress watercolor paper with gorgeous prints by the fabulous Suzy Plantamura.  All the images are so lovely, but I chose the panel with the large flower images, trimming them out with my paper snips after water coloring because I wanted to use a different sentiment from that on the printed panel.  I already had this idea in mind to use with the Mojo sketch challenge (see below), then I saw Amy Rysavy's video (Amy R Prairie Paper and Ink) earlier this week where she did the same thing!  Ha!  I only wish the package contained more copies of these flower images or that Simon would come out with a stamp of this image because I loved water coloring it.


The flower image was colored using a waterbrush and Distress Inks.  Starting with the flower center, I covered it with a light layer of Scattered Straw, then added a tiny bit of Ground Espresso for shading.  Once it dried a bit I added another layer of the same colors but it just didn't seem lively enough, so I pulled out Spiced Marmalade, which created the color I was going for.  Next I moved to the stems and leaves, using Shabby Shutters for a light base and Peeled Paint to shade.  After coloring the flower petals with Abandoned Coral and Fired Brick, I let image dry (helped with my heat tool in the end) before fussy cutting. 


For the background, a piece of Strathmore Bristol paper was trimmed down, then sponged with more distress inks (Squeezed Lemon, Broken China and Shabby Shutters) using the Tim Holtz Mini Blending Tools.  Next I misted and splattered larger water drops, let it sit for a minute, then sopped up the water with a towel.  I think I've said it before, but using the Bristol takes all the anxiety out of blending distress inks.  I've watched many a video about "using a light hand" etc., in ways to effectively blend but was not always successful until I discovered how well they work on Bristol paper.


The sentiment from the Stampin' Up! Circle of Spring stamp set was stamped in Versafine Onyx Black on Neenah Solar White, cut with a SU Stitched Shapes die, then mounted on a scalloped circle of SU Basic Black card stock, and adhered to the blended panel after the flowers were popped up on foam tape.  Before adhering the panel to the card, I layered a strip of Watermelon Wonder card stock wrapped with Basic Black Baker's Twine.  The inside was finished with a strip of the same card stock.

I'm joining 3 challenges with this card, including Mojo Monday (sketch), and two challenges at Simon Says Stamp where both themes are showers and/or flowers.  I've added links to all three below, so be sure to use them to check out all the wonderful inspiration!





Thanks so much for visiting!

Stef

3 comments:

Virginia L. said...

LOVE the composition and colors! This is so beautifully executed! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “Showers and/or Flowers” Challenge! Well done!

SewPaperPaint said...

Gorgeous coloring Stef and such a pretty design! Hugs, Autumn

Stacy said...

This is a gorgeous card!