Monday, June 25, 2018

It's Time to Party and Enjoy a Peaceful Sunrise!

It's time for a new Color Challenge at Splitcoaststampers and this week Jeannie is debuting as hostess!  She has chosen the lovely combination of Bermuda Bay, Flirty Flamingo and So Saffron with a dessert option of balloons.  I ended up making two cards for this challenge, entering one in the CAS and Free For All challenges at SCS (linked below). 

For my first card I used a new-to-me stamp set from Penny Black with these cute, cute critters.  I colored them with Copic markers and fussy cut them.  I ink blended the background with Distress Inks on Bristol paper, then popped everything up with foam tape.  In order to have the kitty floating down to the waiting dog, I made this an oversized card and will make a custom envelope when I send it.  The balloons were painted with a shimmer pen then covered with Crystal Glaze to make them nice and shiny.


Here's a close up that captures some of the shimmer on the balloon.


For this next card, it came together pretty quickly this afternoon.  I'd stamped the image a few days ago and decided to try some blending of reinkers, challenging myself to develop a variety of greens and in the end, the rust color for the tree leaves.  I started by using a light wash of color for the sky, first pink, then yellow and finally the turquoise, blending with clear water on my paint brush.  Next I began color mixing on a palette with a drop each of the yellow and turquoise, then kept adding yellow as I went along to get different green colors.


I waited to watercolor the leaves of the large deciduous tree until the last, first coloring with yellow, then mixing the pink and yellow to create the rust color.  I had so much fun doing this!  The only bit that I'm not fond of is the color of the stream, which is only Bermuda Bay ink because mixing yellow would make it green and mixing pink would make, well, mud.  However, my husband said he has been on streams nearly that color in some remote places in the Rockies, so I decided I was okay with it.  When dry I added white ripples in the stream with a Gelly Roll pen.

I kept the card pretty simple, adding the corrugated white die cut frame to a Flirty Flamingo card base, then added the die cut water colored panel with Fun Foam.  I didn't think any embellies were necessary and may add a sentiment if appropriate when I send the card.

 

Thanks so much for visiting, it's always so appreciated! Below are links to the challenges at SCS.

CC 693

Free For All "Just Over the Holler"

CAS "Water Works"



Stef


Product detail
Card #1
Stamps:  Time to Celebrate (Penny Black)
Paper:  Neenah Solar White, Audrey Blue (Simon Says Stamp), Koh-I-Noor Smooth Bristol
Ink:  Versafine Onyx Black, Memento Tuxedo Black, Distress Inks:  Frayed Burlap, Peacock Feathers
Other:  Cloud Stencil (MFT), Hillside Border die (Lawn Fawn), Paper Snips, Tonic Nuvo Aqua Shimmer pen and Crystal Glaze, Sparkling Clear Sequins (PPP), Copic:  W1, 3, 5; R20, 22, 30, 43; Y11, 02, 08; BG11, 13, 15

Card #2
Stamps:  Peaceful Places (Stampin' Up)
Paper:  Canson XL, Flirty Framingo, White Corrugated
Ink:  Stazon Timber Brown, Flirty Flamingo, Bermuda Bay, So Saffron, Soft Suede, Crumb Cake, Hickory Smoke Distress Ink
Other:  Stitched Rectangle Frame (MFT), Hero Arts Nested Infinity Rectangle die, White Gelly Roll pen
 

2 comments:

Debbie said...

Beautiful card! Did you wet the areas of the card that you were applying the mixed reinkers to? Did you use a waterbrush (the one that has water in the barrel? ). Thank you!

Stef Perry said...

Hi Debbie, I hope you'll see this since I don't have your email to respond to. I used a regular size 4 round paint brush and may have added a little water to blend the sky but the rest I blended the inks on a palette and added water with my brush as needed. Hope that helps!