Monday, August 11, 2014

It's All About You for DTGD


Hi there and welcome!  I have a card to share that I made for a few of the Dare To Get Dirty challenges at Splitcoaststampers.  This is an annual event for Fan Club member participation. I was out of town until yesterday (more about that below), so my creation was kept pretty simple as I am uploading on the last day to join in the challenges.  If you're not a fan club member or want to find out more about Splitcoaststampers, check out this link http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/about/fan.  If you're not familiar with SCS, it is a wealth of crafting knowledge.  I encourage you to go check it out!

I love polka dots, so I grabbed a piece of retired Modern Medley dsp.  To liven up the look of the card, I used Island Indigo and Smoky Slate card stock and topped it all off with a Daffodil Delight flower.  Even with the layers, I left plenty of "white" space in order to keep it more CAS.


The flower was started by punching out two sizes of scallop circles from filter paper.  My big epiphany was that I could use my Daffodil Delight Blendability marker to color the filter paper and it would dry immediately!  In fact, it colored two layers at a time.  And no more waiting for the ink to dry!  After coloring, a small brad was used to hold the layers together while the flowers were scrunched up around it to give the flower its dimension.  Not a new technique but always a pleasing result.


The sentiment is from Endless Birthday Wishes, a new photopolymer set with the cutest fonts plus tons of words and phrases that can be combined in a multitude of ways.  I decided to ink it up in Momento Tuxedo Black and was pleasantly surprised to find it did not stain the photopolymer!  The set does not have any punctuation stamps so I used a Stampin' Up! journaling pen to add the exclamation point and heart rather than a period (the heart was also colored with the Blendability marker).  Although I don't have a photo of it, the sentiment "Happy Birthday" from the same set was stamped on the inside piece of Very Vanilla.

Sketch design #230 from a couple weeks ago by Karen Giron was used for the layout.  The challenge has since closed but I liked the layout so I went ahead and used it anyway.  Karen has the weekly Sweet Sunday Sketch challenge http://kgiron.blogspot.com/ - be sure to drop by and check it out.

That's it for the card.  Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and I would love to hear from you if you have time to comment!!

(Here's the card recipe:  Stamps:  Endless Birthday Wishes; Paper:  Very Vanilla, Island Indigo, Smoky Slate, Modern Medley dsp;  Ink: Momento Tuxedo Black; Other:  Daffodil Delight Blendabilities, Filter Paper, 1 1/4" & 7/8" Scallop Circle and Decorative Label punches, Large Polka Dot embossing folder, Rhinestone Basic Jewels, Stampin' Up! Black Journaling pen)

Read on if you are interested in about our trip this last week.

Kev and I were able to join his family in Idaho for the annual Friends and Family camping trip. This year was a record crowd; all told about 30-40 people.  We had a group site reserved on the Upper Payette Lake and it was gorgeous.


The weather was perfect during the days in the mid-80's although, because it is a high mountain lake at about the 5,000 foot elevation, the nights were COLD!!  A great time was had by all, with kayaking, horseback riding, hiking, biking and even golfing (the campsite is located about 5 miles outside McCall, Idaho with plenty of golf options available)


Here's the view from just in front of my tent.  The lake has areas of marsh and lily pads, which were no problem for the canoes and kayaks to navigate.  They were also a great source of the most annoying, persistent mosquitos!!  Probably the only negative to this lovely piece of paradise.

Take care and have a great week!

Hugs,

Stef

No comments: